Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Everyone Loves the Bluebells...........

Near where I lived in England there are several Bluebell Woods. Ashridge Estate is one of those places.
 photo dcf2f773-08c2-47a9-be64-1bc81dedb356_zpsb03877c3.jpg

This magnificent and varied countryside estate criss-crosses the border between Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire, along the main ridge of the Chiltern Hills.
There are 5,000 acres of woodlands, commons and chalk downland supporting a rich variety of wildlife and offering splendid walks.
The focal point is the Bridgewater Monument, erected in 1832 to the Duke of Bridgewater, in recognition of his pioneering canal development.

 photo 727e12fb-1383-4d1d-ac34-d93f8dafa1dd_zps3f90e65f.jpg

Ivinghoe Beacon, at the end of the Ridgeway, has been inhabited from pre-history to the current day. From the top there are wonderful views of the surrounding countryside, including Whipsnade and the Chiltern Gateway.Be aware that Belted Galloway cattle are now roaming free on Ivinghoe Beacon. They are restricted by the cattle grids on Beacon Road. These animals are not dangerous. How cool is that.

 photo e0c14e8c-67af-4f0d-a8e6-03fc0774106c_zps1d3eac8f.jpg
Go on a bluebell walk and enjoy the scent and sight of woodlands in spring. They are carpeted with blue, it's heaven. There are organized walks in a lot of areas.
 photo f22df679-c387-41bd-8e9a-9f4f54347492_zps2045c3e6.jpg
The special lime green of the trees that are just about to open and the blue of the floor of the woods. Just such a wonderful combination. When I was in school there was a saying "Blue and green should never be seen except with a colour in between" Who ever came up with that gem had never walked in a Bluebell woods. Now we are not allowed to pick them. When I grew up there was no such prohibition and I bet that little girls today still take bundles home to mum.
 photo 5de96110-1963-4b8e-a428-6a49aa4de7ab_zps3863acb4.jpg

Enjoy the pictures and dream of a quiet walk.
 photo 7ddc694f-74c7-46bf-8411-9808227e9a82_zps10c574ec.jpg

I would like to thank the photographers who were able to capture such wonderful pictures.

7 comments:

Mari said...

What amazing pic's, simply gorgeous...

Smiles~
Mari

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, amazing photos, wow wow wow!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Your life and photos are beautiful-I can truly appreciate the "cold," and the gorgeous seasons which that weather brings!
Sweet Hugs!
Jemma

Anonymous said...

The bluebells are almost ready to bloom at the Ashridge Estate, and it looks like it will be a good year. I will take some pics for you. I regularly encounter the cattle in the road, and we drivers have to wait patiently as they amble along, quite unconcerned by the cars. One day I parked and they all wandered over. I realised later it was because my car was similar to the farmer's and they thought I was there to feed them!

Noelle the dreamer said...

Dreamy colours, God's palette only!

Unknown said...

This reminds me of my childhood in England - I live in Australia now but I so appreciate these beautiful images & the memories they bring - thank you:>)

Magic Love Crow said...

Amazing photos and a fun journey ;o)