Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Old Mission, me and him............................................

Just the two of us, I have to get him trained to go out now. Gerry is about to "retire" and I am determined to not just sit around the house and do nothing. If he is not working then he has to learn that we can do stuff together. Try to have fun. Whatever..........so, as I had sore feet from my adventure with Edna last week I was not up for walking. I wondered if there was still Cherry Blossom out on the Peninsula.
It is called Old Mission Peninsula and divides East and West Grand Traverse Bay. It used to be full of Cherry Orchards. Now it has been taken over by Vinyards. Oh my, you should see the huge mansions being built out there.
Anyway, the views are good even though the sky was rather hazy.
 photo IMG_0048a_zpsrxhu3ec5.jpg
 photo IMG_0047a_zpsxm2cnzfy.jpg
Everything was lovely and green, but blossoms gone. There are Apple orchards towards the end of the Peninsula and other fruit orchards. We saw workers in the strawberry fields, but by far the most now is devoted to Hops and Grapes. I can not count the number of new Wineries.
 photo IMG_0051d_zpstxqf5eir.jpg
 photo IMG_0056_zpsry95d0l4.jpg
 photo IMG_0060_zpscfalea4t.jpg
There are three main roads that dissect the Peninsula, one either side and one up the Middle. We normally go up the middle and come back on the West side but this day we took the branch off on the East side. That takes us right into Old Mission. A very small "town". Actually all that is there now is the store and mission.
 photo IMG_0072_zpsvkrf9pgo.jpg
So much lilac on the old farms
 photo IMG_0065_zpseyptkrtr.jpg
Lovely country roads
 photo 20180528_144220a_zpsfispm5ea.jpg
I had not intended to eat out but I was telling Gerry about the fantastic Reuben Sandwiches we got when I took Gabby. So we stopped and went inside.It has been many years since Gerry was there. He enjoyed looking around and of course he wanted a sandwich.
 photo 20180528_144959_zpsqmgmejcb.jpg
 photo 20180528_145110_zpsijw0b7qs.jpg
 photo 20180528_145144_zps1pkape9g.jpg
 photo 20180528_145250_zpswinaqcim.jpg
The place was bustling so it was quite a wait for the sandwich, but, bread from the oven and made especially for us. No fast food here so be patient. They are busy and it's worth the wait. Lots of folks came for ice cream.
Gerry waiting patiently.
 photo 20180528_145724_zpseeljqsmw.jpg
It was well worth it. We could only eat half so Gerry enjoyed his other half later that evening. I still have my other half
 photo 20180528_152031_zpsfviysdry.jpg
 photo 20180528_152040_zpspdsgwr7x.jpg
I do not usually eat meat so that was a very special treat and I apologize to my bovine friends. Once in awhile I do give in to temptation and I am sorry for that. I am weak.
The ride back was probably more comfortable than it would have been if we had finished the rest. Phew............Bowers Harbour on West Bay
 photo 20180528_144537_zpss8jcawd1.jpg
People enjoying their boats. Something we will probably never do now, not at our time of life. I don't think we would have the money or equipment.
 photo IMG_0069g_zpssgswo5m9.jpg
A nice crop of Dandelions in this orchard.
 photo 20180528_155257d_zpslfpkdguv.jpg
 photo 20180528_142651l_zps0svxizvv.jpg
It was a very nice afternoon. We didn't get out at the lighthouse. My feet too sore and a load of people. Prefer these places when we have them to ourselves. It is the beginning of our summer once Memorial Day comes around and then it's tourist all over the place, more every year. Sigh but it funds our local economy. As they say, the rich get richer and the poor can no longer afford to live here. The taxes now push out the locals from places they have had for years and in come the wealthy to take over and change everything that was what made the place attractive. Lucky for us it's just the beginning and our backwards sleepy town is no more but not yet quite completely spoilt, won't be long though.

4 comments:

Maureen. Hackr said...

Americans sure do know how to make a decent sandwich! It looked a lovely sunny day. Glad you and Gerry enjoyed yourselves.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

You are lucky to be surrounded by beautiful places to explore, a beach close by, and unique shops and eateries.
I'm sure the two of you will wander at will, and enjoy me time together.
I love that general store, could spend hours in there!
Thank you for sharing your trip Janice

Hugs,
Jo

Kay G. said...

I want to live where you live, it looks absolutely SMASHING! (That is a word that my English mother-in-law used to say a lot and I do miss her and her saying it.)
Anyway, I love your first line there..."Just the two of us, I have to get him trained to go out now." So funny! Poor Gerry, he must be in stitches most of the time laughing with you! :-)

Magic Love Crow said...

What a beautiful day! So glad the both of you had fun! I love the place where you stopped for the sandwich! Looks so yummy! Big Hugs!