Sunday, April 21, 2019

Hissing good time.................................

Saturday was warm(er) and sunny and we had Tristen for the day. We asked if he wanted to go out and that was a yes. So, we did the usual route through Suttons Bay and on through Lake Leelanau stopping for coffee and hot chocolate. We got some pastries to go with that so were all set for "lunch". Onwards to Leland where we checked to see if the Museum was open. It was not, bummer. Picture is on the Leland river that runs into Lake Leelanau.

Not much opens around here until May. We went down to Van's Beach but it was not accessible. They really ruined the beaches when they did the work last year. They dumped a load of sand that has left a ridge, anyway without wading we could not get down to the beach. Sure was pretty though.


Well we went to North Beach instead and that had more stones anyway.


I went for a nice long walk and picked up a few Petoskey's and blue stones. Not many all considered but I was more interested in walking anyway.
We headed to Port Oneida after that. Tristen was busy with my phone in between so that kept him occupied.
Showed him the Beaver activity and we rescued some snakes, saw the Sandhills, now three pairs. Some Canada Geese and enjoyed the sun. We stopped at the lake first to see if there was any activity there and the Painted Turtles were out sunning themselves.

I believe the little bird to be an Eastern Phoebe. Please correct me if I am wrong.



Tristen went to check out the old log cabin school house while I was taking pictures. There was not a whole lot of activity on the Lake but there were a pair of swans. They had black bills so maybe Trumpeter Swans.

We stopped next to check out the Beaver activity from the other side and the flooding is getting worse. They sure have been busy. This used to be the road.



So the story that was the highlight of the trip is this. We look out this time of year for baby snakes on the road. We had spotted a pair of Sandhills by the side of the road and pulled up to see them, luckily we were going slow and I yelled at Gerry to stop. Snakes on road. (Garter snakes)They won't be out this early he says. Yes they will and look two right there. He had stopped and I got out to encourage them to move on to the grass. They ignored me. The larger one chasing the smaller one I can only believe he had things on his mind other than me. (Do Sandhills eat snakes?) Anyway, Tristen gave me a stick and I tried to encourage them to stop with no luck. Anyway I did get one moved to safety but the big guy kept going right under the van. I had Gerry carefully back up and then Tristen said he climbed into the van. Gerry said no it would not do that, he just has to argue. Well we couldn't see where he had got up there and about to give up when we saw a snake in the grass and were much relieved. We went on to check out the Cranes having assured ourselves we had done our job.


The rest of that story is this. We were on our way home after stopping several times on the way and to my utter amazement a tiny face appears in the windscreen up front. "help me" he says. I yelled for Gerry to pull over. "Why" he says "Snake on board" I yelled. So we pulled over, I dare not open my door for fear of hurting him. SO Gerry gets out and evicts him. Hope he likes his new home in the woods. Sigh. Poor thing.

Liz I know you will just love that story.........made me think though, out west what other things can crawl up into your car hmmmmm.
Anyway,after that we headed for Empire and saw these guys by the road. Canada Geese. We stopped and I shooed them away to the pond. The two Sandhill Cranes were still where we saw them last week.

Saw no deer this day at all but the view was great. No ice at all left




We headed towards home after that and stopped at the Hayloft for dinner.

The Burrito was huge and we have the remains of that for supper tonight. Yum.
So ended a good day. Gabby took Tristen back with her to colour eggs at Laura's so we didn't have to go out again which was nice for us anyway. Now the car needs a good cleaning from all the sand. I am off to work in the garden now.

1 comment:

Kay G. said...

That beach! If I lived there, I would be writing songs about it!! Snake on board! That would have scared me silly! Happy Easter!