Thursday, October 6, 2011

Facebook..........

I know a lot of people do not like Facebook. I do. I have had so much fun finding and getting reacquainted with old friends and relations. I started a group to talk about Houghton Regis, the village I grew up in. Now that is fun. We are talking about old friends and memories and I think everyone is having a really good time. Its always good to get to know cousins again and especially those in other countries. Well, in my case they are all in other countries now. Some are in England and some in Australia. The people who grew up in the village though including cousins are the most active. The village has changed from a small farming village to a town with its own mayor. I remember it when there were thatched roofs and gas lights. Hard to believe looking at it today. Most of the lovely old homes were demolished for factories or shops. Such a shame. They pulled down a beautiful 400+ year old Tithe Barn to build a housing estate for London overspill.

Photobucket

The picture below shows new fangled electric street lights and the one above still has the gas lights. Notice though, no traffic. Ahhhhh so nice. Most of those houses, if not all have gone now.


Photobucket

It's such a shame really that a sleepy quiet village had such and end.

Photobucket

No comments: