Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lottery Fever................

It occurred to me that we have been blessed because we did NOT win the lottery. I think that our thoughts should be on other things. While it would be nice to have enough money to pay off everything God blesses us with enough to pay our bills. Would life be the same if we did not have to rely on God quite so much.? Why then do I want more? I really only want it to give it away and to do good things with. However God knows best, He knows what would really happen if such wealth were to come to us. I really do not want that.........to be outside of God's will for me. I was watching a movie about St Francis of Assisi this evening. I was only watching it because Mickey Rourke was in it to be honest. It was very tedious to begin with and dragged out I was getting bored. We didn't switch it off though and I was on here working on a blog. Then the scene came where he was quoting from the beatitudes. I was enthralled. Mickey Rourke for all of his mistakes in his own life is one heck of an actor and was why I was watching to begin with. Well............it really brought it home to me how lucky we are not to be among the rich. As Jesus says "they have their own reward" that is not what I want. Jesus tells us to give and then give more. I really thought about that when St Francis was telling the people the words of Jesus..........and sometimes we need to be reminded. We need to listen to what Jesus said. Sometimes even church leaders need to be reminded and certainly politicians do, at least those who profess to be Christians. I am not judging. Just saying that often I do not hear much love coming from those who try to lead us and most of them are wealthy. They have no idea what a regular persons life is like and they certainly have no empathy.

Photobucket



"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10


Photobucket


St Francis preached to man and beast the universal ability and duty of all creatures to praise God (a common theme in the Psalms) and the duty of men to protect and enjoy nature as both the stewards of God's creation and as creatures ourselves.Legend has it that on his deathbed, St. Francis thanked his donkey for carrying and helping him throughout his life, and his donkey wept. He preached to the birds and they listened. He blessed a wolf. I love that about him.
I am not a Catholic but I can relate to St Francis and how he wanted to live his life. It had to have been so difficult back in his day. So..........no I do not want to win the lottery. It would separate me from God and I would not have to be dependent upon His will for my life. So I have to say thank you Lord...........and if I do buy the occasional lottery ticket now and then, its tongue in cheek because I know I will never win, but would hate to miss out on a small gift (smile)
Photobucket

No comments: