Monday, December 10, 2012

In the Bleak Midwinter.......

Inthebleakjpg-1 Text: Christina G. Rossetti, 1830-1894 Music: Gustav Holst, 1874-1934 UP The bridge opened to traffic on November 1, 1957 according to schedule, despite the many hazards of marine construction over the turbulent Straits of Mackinac. The last of the Mackinac Bridge bonds were retired July 1, 1986. Fare revenues are now used to operate and maintain the Bridge and repay the State of Michigan for monies advanced to the Authority since the facility opened to traffic in 1957.... The bridge is 5 miles long. Before that cars had to go by ferry to St Ignace or over to Mackinaw Island. The Grand Hotel is on the island and the business was very limited without the all around traffic. No cars are allowed on the Island by the way. This is the entry to the upper peninsula. The good old UP. winter-weather-snow-banks The first verse of one of my favourite hymns reminds me of the UP in winter. In case you did not see the connection between the hymn and the rest of the post. Winter up the in "God's Country" is awesome. Wolves and Moose and Elk. Its beautiful. The above picture is a typical winter in the UP. Although I must say The last few winters have been far from typical. I do not know who's home this is but my neighbour Bud, well he has a cottage in the UP near Marquette. He says some years they had to get out the bedroom window. So this picture made me think of him. My son and daughter in law live in Baraga and my granddaughter lives in Ishpeming. So we are often in the UP. Not as often as I would like though. winter12-1 The land of the Snowshoe Priest............wish you could see it. I am linking up with
I love to participate and read all the links and finding more new friends.

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I always shiver a bit crossing that bridge. They are not my favorites! I love your poetry-it is lovely. We love Mackinaw and haven't been in several years now- xo Diana

Cindy Adkins said...

This is great, Janice! I've never been to the UP or to Mackinaw. I really need to get to some of these places! They're not that far from me...and stop and see you and Laura, of course! I'm hoping next year will be a better year for me (money-wise) and I can do that. That first photo of the bridge is awesome!!
Hugs and Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

It looks incredible. Now that is proper snow!!