Friday, February 20, 2015

Frozen Pipes and toes...............

It's been a bit nippy around here. Three days of frozen pipes in our downstairs toilet. The hair dryer has been very handy. They froze last year too but this year has been extra special cold. Apparently, according to my son Jason, it was minus 44 in the North Pole and a city somewhere in Michigan showed minus 39.
Last night got to minus 17 here and our pipes did not appreciate it. Got them thawed out and left the water running. I checked it out when I went to bed and all was well or so I thought. My husband had turned off the hot water one. Guess what, yes, that one froze. I could smack him. I got up at 5am to be sure nothing had overflowed or flooded, all was well and so I stayed up so have been rather tired today.
A view down my street yesterday.
 photo 063d3c42-b75f-4375-8d6c-9f06550dc43f_zps184494bf.jpg
We have had much more snow than this but its seldom been this cold. Some one put some plastic penguins on our frozen bay last night and they did not look out of place. People really enjoyed checking them out today.
Looking down Oak st
 photo fefaa69e-6b26-4ad2-b0e7-1cbdc7a137c1_zpsdb9550d2.jpg
Then looking over at Bud's house I was thinking his front porch furniture wont be used anytime soon an.d looks quite lonely
 photo ce8ca384-61af-433c-b53f-112be6b59ffb_zps1a9eca93.jpg
Looking the other way down 9th
 photo f1893568-e5da-4b4e-a982-82b80d20d5aa_zpsc727b1a3.jpg
The amount of snow is not impressive and it is pretty. The Bay froze last year and again this year. It had not frozen for a good many years. It is cyclical, so I don't read too much into that but, the weather is changing for sure. This arctic weather is just not normal.
I feel so bad for the birds and animals. Here we have a winter that is without really deep snow, so food is easy to get for the deer and other critter but, so what, now they freeze to death.
Roll on Spring.
 photo d925e971-1ec7-4c87-b17b-be96216ed547_zps12b2732d.jpg
I see the buds forming on the trees. Actually they form in the Fall I believe but they are growing and I can see them more prominently now.
 photo 0148a935-5622-450c-9818-d2311a7b310a_zps9ae11a04.jpg
I will believe it though when I see the Forsythia starting to bud. I should cut some and bring it inside and try to get them to bloom. It is supposed to work.
 photo 51fb32e6-394e-464f-8ef6-fe6b53b4e232_zpseb8ba40c.jpg
Anyway, I am tired of the cold but not looking forwards to heat. I like mild temps. I want to get outside, work in the garden and do outside stuff. Next year I am getting snow shoes for sure.
I bought a Hyacinth but that has finished now, so next time I am at the store I will buy some mini daffs. I end up putting them in the garden when it thaws. Then they come back the next year and spread. It just gives me that feeling for Spring. Hope that it is coming soon and I will dream of warmer days.






7 comments:

Merlesworld said...

You look like you could do with a few warm summer days, spring will not be too long.
Merle.........................

NanaDiana said...

It is cold here, too, Janice....way too cold. We don't have an excess of snow either but we sure have had those bone-chilling temps all winter.....where is that global warming when you need it? xo Diana

Craftymoose Crafts said...

We have been lucky so far that no pipes have frozen here. But every night we hear these heavy bangs and pops all night long. I think it is the attic floor boards expanding and contracting--at least I hope so.

Maureen Wyatt said...

This sure has been a long run of super cold weather! I haven't had a problem with freezing pipes but my car won't start the last couple of days. Oh well, who wants to go anywhere in all this snow anyway.

Magic Love Crow said...

No frozen pipes here so far! Yeh ;o) I love the pictures ;o) Gorgeous! We have snow, but not a lot, it just has been cold, like you! Big Hugs ;o)

Unknown said...

Yikes! Frozen pipes are more than just simple inconveniences. They can even result to more than just a temporary loss of water supply. They are hard to fix, but given the right preparation, you can get closer to preventing it from happening again. I just hope you've found a solution for those pipes, Janice! Anyway, I'm glad to see that buds are finally forming on the surrounding trees. They'll be the sight to see this coming springtime. Thanks for sharing that! All the best to you! :)

Roxanne Vaughn @ Total PLBG

Unknown said...

Enduring a very cold weather is problem enough; to think that it would also freeze your pipes, if not cause it to burst, is a big annoyance. Anyway, how are things with your plumbing nowadays? I hope there weren’t any incidents of burst pipes back then. Take care!


Traci Romero @ Harris Plumbing