Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Feeding Critters...................

I love my birds and animals. I will do all I can for them as often as I can. I will help those, sorry to say over most humans. They are innocents. Even children have organizations to help them, but I would help a child in need too, I am not saying that I wouldn't, but my true love is animals.
I was raised in a rural village as I have said many times. It is a natural thing for me to love the creatures of the earth. Maybe God makes some of us that way? I think of heaven as being here on earth tending the earth and it's creatures. After all God did say He would be making all things new, the Lion would lay with the Lamb. You can keep your streets of Gold and beautiful jems (I would not say no to a couple of diamonds, for their beauty not their worth, I see rainbows in them.)
 photo horses 008_zpsj6jksis7.jpg
My horse Lady was an example. I had just started to take riding lessons when the guy who owned the farm sold it. He had lesson horses that were older and was selling them. I bought Lady who was 16 at the time. I would give up almost anything for my animals and so she had the greatest care her entire life. She lived to be 41. Now one thing about me is I spoil them. They get fat. I can't help it they look at me and I just give them whatever they want.
 photo 20170126_222033k_zpsm5cwgfnd.jpg
My Poodles get fat too but that's more Gerry's fault. He has the same problem, those puppy eyes and they get something shoved in their gob. I told the vet about him but it made no difference. They just keep expanding, much like myself, although I can at least moderate myself somewhat. I just can't resist the eyes of those animals.
So imagine this. We have had a truly harsh Winter this Spring. Take that in........ The Robins are back, they are full of eggs. Waiting to nest down. The poor things come and sit in the tree by the deck looking for shrivelled up berries. The Holly is frozen under the snow and ice. I could not get the berries off there. How can I manage when they sit and look so sad?
 photo 105_0564j_zpschzcpmy4.jpg
They were traipsing around in the snow looking for a clear patch to dig. The worse thing is that under the snow is ice. Gerry had cleared a path and they had a constructive time digging for a couple of days. Now there is nothing. I have found that the birds are enjoying the pond, we took the net off and so they can drink.
Anyway, back to feeding birds that do not eat seeds. I have not been back to the store because getting the car out when it's iced in is too hard for me. Plus I don't see so well driving in snow. So................a friend told me that birds will eat cat food. So out come the kibbles. I threw out a bunch of cat food and low and behold Mrs Robin tasted a few. She even came in with the Starlings there.
 photo 105_0569h_zpsjtieoyfw.jpg
The next thing I found was when I put out some stew (Gerry was saving for lunch) the Crows and Seagulls enjoyed that along with the Starlings but guess what? So did Mrs Robin. I saw her tasting a green bean. She just dug right in with the Starlings
 photo 105_0570_zpshaakfmuq.jpg
Hungry enough to not be intimidated.
 photo 105_0510_zps6acs7hfy.jpg
Now the moral of this story is should we or should we not feed animals things that are not good for them????
Well, no, we should not. However, when it comes down to starving to death or eating something that allows you to make it through another day. Well I am going to do my darndest to get them through. That heap of vegetable crap will go when the snow melts, it won't sit there and rot, I will dig it into the dirt as soon as I can find it. Meanwhile the Bunnies and critters and the birds can all have their fill. I emptied my cupboards of raisins and nuts and anything edible so they have a choice. I was happy to see the Crows and seagulls getting along. My Peaceful Kingdom. If I can't live back out in the country then by golly I will do what I can where I am.
 photo 103_0854a_zp_zpsolgz6voi.jpg
We are not supposed to feed the waterfowl or deer. It's not good for them. Not good for the environment. Well I agree. Again, it's a question to me of live or die? I will feed the deer and I will feed the ducks if I have the opportunity to do so. I won't make them dependent and I will feed them good food if I can. I am all for obeying the law and those who work in the environmental protection thingie but..........if I see an animal who needs help, like the Raccoon we brought home then by golly I will help if I can. We named the Raccoon Blueberry because he loved the Blueberries. I could not find anyone willing to help him. That shocked me. No they carry worms, they have diseases that transmit to your pets. Well be sensible then and don't let them near the dogs and be very careful. Blueberry got to go home again and I hope had a long life. Probably not, but I did my part.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly Janice, I think it may be an "English" thing to love animals unconditionally.
I always wanted to be a vet, that never was to be, but I did work for a veterinarian as a technician for thirty six years.
Your horse was beautiful, and lived to be the ripe old age of 41, incredible !
My horses are long gone, but I still think of them often, and hoped they lived a good long life.
We feed suet, bread, cut up apples and raisins for the Robins, they are lovely little creatures.
Hope your snow melts fast, and spring soon comes your way.
Hugs,
~Jo

Kay G. said...

God bless you for taking care of the animals!
Take care and stay warm! xx

Magic Love Crow said...

I'm with you 100% Janice! Big Hugs!