Saturday, February 22, 2020

Sunny days.......

Finally I got to go out, a frustrating week ended on a pretty Friday. Gerry didn't want to go out on the other couple of days that were decent. I have really enjoyed this winter, being able to get out has made a big difference. I LIKE the cold. This day was crispy to say the least and even I got cold at some points. The wildlife stayed in the warmth of the woods so sightings were rare to nil. First off we went down to the Bay because we saw on the news that the wildfowl were "rafting" I believe that's what its called.


I couldn't get a close up but it was good to see it. I didn't fancy getting out of the car yet, hair still wet from the shower. We took Cherry Bend to avoid traffic, stopped by Cedar Lake to see if anyone was about but nothing but tracks, it was pretty though. Birds singing in the trees but I could not see them.

I wasn't sure where I wanted to go but we decided to avoid Suttons Bay in favour of cutting over on Otto Rd to Lake Leelanau. Lots of beautiful old barns along the way. It was surprisingly warm in the sun. I could only see from a distance but could just see fishing shanties on the frozen lake Leelanau.


When we got into Lake Leelanau Gerry suggested I go check out the Samaritans Closet. I was not going to but hey, if he suggests it why not. Of course I found goodies there and will do a separate blog on that subject. After that we went down by the river, the narrows where the two parts of the Lake join up





A few Mallards and other "ducks" hanging out there. The white headed one is a "Bufflehead" the brown tufted head is a Common Merganser. I believe there were also some Goldeneye, hard to tell at a distance.



All this time I had been pretty warm, but when we got to Leland to explore the beach there. OMGoodness, I froze my fingers off. The wind was howling in and even though I put on my hat and gloves I froze. I hardly ever feel the cold but ooooh boy too cold for me



We stopped to see the progress in Fish Town. The cheese shanty is back in place and the men still working on it. The waves breaking over the wall at the harbour and wind froze my face on the other side by the river it was warm again







Heading back then towards Glen arbor after getting coffee at Trishes Dishes we started off
We went down to Bohemian Rd to check that beach all so pretty and again warm on that side out of the wind can you see the snowballs? In Leland they were ice balls, here not quite so frozen. I was looking for the stranger phenomenons we get along the shorelines in winter. One being snow volcano's that is when the waves hollow out holes in the ice and the "surf" washes up through the hole..........didn't see any, or ice pancakes that day.



On the way to Pt Oneida we did see some deer but the pictures didn't show them very well. They were eating under and apple tree and were by then back under the pines, still we did get to visit until they took off, about six of them, most of the places we stop were not accessible so we headed for Glen Haven, passing through Glen Arbor and watching the progress on the old mill and house. Coming along nicely. Laura and I went inside the house one day as we were adventuring, it looks as thought they have stripped it down to nothing almost. I wonder what they will do with it all. Next to Glen Haven, we saw deer feeding in someones garden but had gone by before we could get pictures. Ducks again on the water at Glen Haven, they must come into the Bays to avoid the wind, must have really cold bums but that didn't stop them diving. I didn't linger because it was really windy by then.




Headed to Empire next past the Dunes where no one was out adventuring that I could see.


No deer to be seen, all in the woods no doubt. The waves and wind were fierce and everything covered in ice. Incredibly beautiful. I stood trying to get pictures buffeted by the wind Two ladies behind me holding on to each other trying to stand on the ice and enjoy the view and laughing, I said "A bit nippy isn't it" They said "yes rather brisk".....as they tried to turn in tandem holding each other up in the gale force winds,






My face froze but it was just so lovely. We took a back road on the way home and by then the snow was drifting over the roads. Part melted from the sun and drifting from the wind it promised some bad roads that night when temps dropped again. Lots of black ice.


Back home and safe I didn't have to worry about supper because left over Taco's and we were ready for it. The poodles happy to see us as always make for a warm welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lovely adventure. I doubt whether I would get R to drive in those conditions in fact probably wouldnt get him out of the house! So well done. So pretty. Liz x