Saturday, February 22, 2020

Thrift stores...........

I am down to just keeping this blog active for now. I seldom have time and not too many follow my blogs anyway. So for now my garden and pretty things will be incorporated into this one blog. I need to find the money to get it printed out again, probably 3 more books as too much now to make into one.............then again I wonder if it's worth the expense.
So this subject is thrift stores. I do know there is often bad press about such things. CEOs getting paid a lot from things given freely. What I do know is this. The Women's Recourse center does a lot of good in our community. At least two of my granddaughters found help there when they most needed direction, counseling and advice as to where to get legal help, medical help and so on. So if by buying things I enjoy and knowing at least half of what I pay goes to help others then so be it. I know they provide meals, coffee and support to those who need it on a daily basis.
I go there every now and then. We have many others in our town some church run. What I have found though is at least one that I used to go to regular has since becoming popular so have put up the prices. I don't go along with that, I buy things I don't need because I like them, not because I have a need for them and consider it a donation of sorts. I won't be taken advantage of though, if I can buy the same thing in the store why would I spend my money on a used item?
well, in our travels I became fond of The Samaritans closet in Lake Leelanau. I would often find some bargains there and that's the fun part. They recently moved to a new location and its now much bigger and very pleasant so when we go through the town I often stop as I did this week.
Here are some of my finds.




I need more plates like a hole in the head but, well these two will fit in very nice in the blue bedroom downstairs. I had plates with bluebirds on but Cooper broke a couple, these will replace those. I also found others that at this point I have no idea what I will do with them but at one dollar each, how could I resist? Pretty sure they will find a place


Looks hand painted

I also found this nice little cheese keeper but will use for something else no doubt and some fake flowers that I will use somewhere too. Under those is a pair of jeans I got at the same time.


The best deal was a painting for 7 dollars that will go really well in the blue room. I loved it.


The jeans were 4 dollars and I could have got another pair half off but I only saw that one, they are stretch and will fit like leggins, ideal for wear with a long sweater and boots when I go adventuring. The rest of the things were a dollar a piece so how could I go wrong.
I was going to paint some pictures for the blue room but well, as I never seem to get down to it this will do for now. At least the walls will now be full again.
So if you can get what you want from thrift stores no one will put me off. I may not need any of it but my house is full of things I enjoy and have not paid a fortune for.

4 comments:

laurajane said...

I don't often respond to your blog posts but I do enjoy reading them. If you want a reason to turn them into books, how about for me so that I can enjoy them someday when you're gone and can hand them down to kids and grandkids someday....
Think of them as a sort of diary. You're telling us about yourself and what you love. And that is a good thing!
I love love love LOVE that painting of the flowers and the sky! I love blue and white together and that painting is just gorgeous! Great find!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sure there are many of us who read you blogs, look forward to them but have difficulty commenting. This time it has been easy but not previously. I made the mistake many years ago of buying plate collections, I never had time to look round Charity shops, antique or junk shops. So I paid full whack at the height of plate collecting fever. So now they are almost worthless but at least are full sets so maybe one Day! And I have all the boxes and certs. I have two sets telling Russian fairy tales but only display one set. The rest are stashed. Mark will have some clearing out to do. He used to spend his precious pocket money buying me Wedgwood pieces, now you can pick them up for just £1. And I have so many bells, even you sent me a couple. What a lot of stuff we acquire but it is nice to look round and remember who bought what. Keep the blog going
, Liz x

Kay G. said...

I also don't blog as much anymore. It has been one year since my Dad died and I have been...not quite myself.
Now, here is the thing, I hope you will keep blogging!!
And I love everything you have shown us here!! Wish I could go shopping with you!! Take care. xx

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Kay, I wish you could go with me too. Such fun it would be........its very difficult losing loved ones and life is forever changed. We all struggle through it. Bless
Janice