Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Old Mission and the Secret garden........

On Saturday we went for a short drive out on Old Mission Peninsula. It was Labour Day weekend and the traffic was bad, so we took a side road along the shore. Its housing but has water views because it's all private beaches. The main road was just too busy, we stopped in Old Mission but the country store was crowded so we didn't stop.

One day I should go and take pictures of the houses, they are huge mansions and small cottages most likely of families who have lived there since before it was popular. Now only rich folks can afford to live there and I wonder who they are. What used to be farms and Cherry orchards are now Vineyards, huge places. It's apparently a perfect environment for growing grapes. Seems all of northern Michigan have become Vintners and hop growers.
From many places there is a view of both East and West Bay and on clear days its fantastic. I loved the clouds though on this day.

We went up to the lighthouse but there were way too many people the parking lot overflowed onto the road so we skipped that for that day.........we stopped a bit further down at the beach just to look. The water was calm and no one at that spot.





We were wanting to stop at "The Secret Garden" a Lavender farm and cut flower garden with a gift shop. Beautiful.



We walked among the flowers and I got some lovely images of Bees. I love Bees. I love the lovely fluff bums of the Bumbles and there were several kinds all busy at the end of Summer.



This one had a tiny friend with him

I took too many pictures to post here. Before leaving I went into the gift shop and bought some Lavender/Lemon/ White chocolate chip ice cream that we shared. It was awesome made at Moomer's. A small tub just enough for two. It was soooooo good I wish it was in stores.
We made our way back home wishing we could have done more but in the hope that this weekend will send tourists home till the Fall colours get here. Then we will have the area mostly to ourselves. Although with skiing season right after that its just not like it used to be. Still at least now we can go out during the week if we want too but not in summer anymore. I am looking forwards to the next month though and hope for some nice cool days.Got to go back to the beach at Leland and look for stones. I might even venture out on my own if Gerry has to work.

2 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely trip out Janice, one which I enjoyed very much. Glad you managed to find those side roads away from all the traffic. We tend to take the country roads when heading south in the summer months. Loved all those flowers and bees! A beautiful old log cabin mission too. Lavender in anything is my all-time favorite scent. I buy lavender soaps when needed and sometimes when not needed as I pop them in my clothes draws just so that everything smells nice, and then take them out when the ones in the shower need to be replaced.

Kay G. said...

I wonder if in the future they might have to limit tourism to popular spots. Don't know how it could be done but we have spots like that here too. As akways, I love your photos!