Sunday, September 8, 2019

September Rain............

The day began with bright blue sky and fluffy clouds. Seemed like a good idea to take the day and go for a drive. We got our coffee and water for the ride and we left with overcast sky, what happened? Well as I always say, don't let weather stop ya.......I mean to say, I come from a misty Island don't I? where rain is frequent or always used to be. So off we went. Decided to take a different route this time and went to Suttons Bay via a back road that I knew has some lovely old barns. Some day I will do a post all about old barns. Maybe. Anyway we took the road less traveled and avoided traffic.





Why are old barns red one may ask......Rust was plentiful on farms and because it killed fungi and mosses that might grow on barns, and it was very effective as a sealant. It turned the mixture red in color. When paint became more available, many people chose red paint for their barns in honor of tradition. (old farmers almanac) I also read that they also used blood in the olden days too.
One barn was very special.......look who lived there.



They all came to the fence to see me but I restrained myself, I didn't approach them. I had no treats.




moving on we took our usual route but got this on the way.Our usual field of sunflowers had gone to seed but these guys were still happy.



Well we did the usual round of places but unfortunately no deer or critters today except the flocks of turkeys. It was a bit less cloudy at that point and the sun came out briefly. We stopped at the boardwalk to check for critters. Only the turtles were about. No Loons today, no birds either. We walked further on into the woods to see if there were any fresh Beaver's activity, the undergrowth made it tricky in sandals so gave up on that, there were old cuttings but none fresh that we could see from there.




The Bees were busy on the flowers, loads of tiny ones, honey bees and bumbles.



Always happy to see lots of bees. The Turtles were enjoying the sun as it came out now and then. Found a few frogs hiding in my pictures as I zoomed in.




we went into Port Oneida and to look at the water levels. Met a couple on the steps who asked me to take their picture. They were from Texas.Enjoying retirement and traveling. The water was high as I expected. Hardly any beach left.




I didn't linger but went on to Glen Haven, no beach there either but some improvements made in the form of a small boardwalk with benches. Took a few pictures then headed to Empire.





Talking to the Texas couple reminded me how much I enjoy living here in Northern Michigan. SO glad not to be in Texas where they said it was 101 today......No I enjoy the change of seasons and if I can't live in England then I am glad to be living here.

The beach at Empire, what can I say.......it's gone. Well what they have done to compensate is to take out all the huge boulders that were used as a breakwall. Looks like they may have brought in some sand but maybe just stirred
it about a bit after taking out the rocks. The waves have brought in loads of pebbles and there were a few rock hounds looking.





I found a nice big Petoskey stone and a few Ring Coral that I picked up but really wasn't looking as I left the bag in the car. Well that was it for this day and we headed home. We didn't stop to eat but went home for salad. We had gone to Rico's the night before. I had some great fish and some Clam chowder (I only had a taste, it was wonderful but I let Gerry finish it). I am back on my low carb diet and trying to maintain it as a way of life. I know most of my ailments come from my weight. My body just can't carry it. My knees hurt and my body aches. I have to get my blood sugar down and cholesterol too. I had no activity to speak of all summer because I can't tolerate the heat. My English blood was made for cooler climates. Gerry is working for a few weeks so we only have weekends to go out so I must get my act together and do garden work and crafts.......hey ho.

4 comments:

Merlesworld said...

You are in a beautiful part of the world.
Merle............

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What beautiful pictures you share Janice, the place you call home is so stunningly magnificent.
Love the barn pictures especially, I'm an old barn-lover myself :)
Hugs,
~Jo

Magic Love Crow said...

What a beautiful day! Thanks for the information about the red on barns! Very interesting! I love seeing the animals! I would have got some treats for them! LOL! Take care with your health! Big Hugs!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Janice, great series of photos. Loved all of them, especially the animals :) Thank you and have a great weekend ;)