Sunday, March 8, 2020

March winds..................

Saturday came sunny but cold and windy. We wanted to go out anyway. First I needed to pick up a prescription and some snacks for the road. I asked the lady at Right Aid if they had the New Shingles vaccine in. They did...........owwwww. I said make sure you tell Dr Weber because he keeps nagging me. Well I got that out of the way and we set off. The plan was to go back roads and come out near Esch Road. That didn't go as planned and we somehow took a wrong turn that brought us out further down M22 than we had planned. No matter we will do that later in the week. So the first stop was the Platte River beach.




This beach is wonderful for kids. The river Platte runs into the lake and there is a large sand bar, it means the kids can play and swim in shallow water. The problem is that in summer the campground ensures that the beach is always full of people. Well it was cold and windy this day and so I didn't linger. I wanted to walk further but Gerry had already gone back to the car. Talked to a lady who came along and she said that her and her husband had been walking in the woods (with a GPS haha) and had seen a lot of deer, Bobcat tracks and coyote tracks. We agreed this is the perfect time of year to enjoy this particular beach. We went on to Point Betsy but going past Crystal Lake I wanted to take some pictures of the ice. There were ice pancakes and they are so pretty. Well I froze my nose off but got a few pictures. I had seen an Eagle overhead but it had gone, but then it came back flying lower. With the sun in my eyes I could not get a good shot of it. I did see now there were 3, and then a 4th eagle. Two seemed to be sparring, legs locked in combat, or mating maybe? Anyway there were 4 now. Then a couple of Hawks joined the fray, then another Eagle had a Crow dive bombing.




A lady stopped and asked if I had seen the eagles and what way did they go, we chatted for a bit then we moved on waving bye to her. We saw her again at Point Betsy. I ventured down onto the beach, but brrrrrrrr I put a hat on and gloves this time. Some guy was out there in shorts.







Gerry takes his pictures from inside the van haha.......Can you see under all the debri on the beach there is a bench buried under the sand and tree trunks?
So next to frankfort. Still very windy but a little warmer here. Para sailors out in force I would think it was freezing even in wet suits.




We took a detour down to Loon Lake. In summer it's full of canoes and swimmers who park boats and Kayaks, They party out in the middle of the lake. Its shallow and the ones who rent canoes and things to go down the Platte and fill the lovely quiet spot with music and shouting, a shame really. Still, I can enjoy the off season.





I have really enjoyed this Winter, Gerry prefers warmer weather. With that comes people. Then tourists who are there for the duration. I like off seasons when if you go during the work week it's generally free of all but a few who like me enjoy the quiet.We went home along River Road. The Llama's were not out staying warm inside. Well maybe later we will catch up with them. On our way out and about I took pictures of a couple of barns, we didn't see any animals. This is where I used to get hay when I had my horses.

Maybe later on this week, when it's supposed to get up to 50 we will go again. Maybe the Platte again and Esch Rd and Empire so we see some deer. Not sure yet...............but where ever we decide it will be great. It always is, but better when we see the wild things.

No comments: