Saturday, April 25, 2020

Birding today, around town............

The weather man said it would get up to 50 today. He was mistaken. It was cold. We saved our road trip for tomorrow because he said it would be better. We shall see.
We opted for a short walk down by the Boardman river. Hoped to see some ducks (say water fowl) and we did. The river had overrun it's banks and made it rather soggy down there, and in one spot they put a boardwalk. I think we need more than one.



We saw a pair of Mersanger's there. There was also a pair of mallards (Nigel and Nelly perhaps) Gerry went down while I took pictures of a little Chipmunk. He was a bit slimmer than the one at home, he was a little bit paler too. Very cute and didn't mind the photoshoot either. A few Canadians showed up as well.





We walked around best we could, I saw a few flowers surprisingly, just starting and very sparse.



A couple of birds showed up, A Bluejay and a Grackle.


Before we left I walked down the river for a bit and saw what I was looking for, a Cormorant. It certainly wasn't sunning itself.


I had really enjoyed the birding so we went down to Logan's Landing. The birds were singing full throttle and the gulls trying to outdo them. we walked over to the other side of the landing via the covered bridge.



A nice variety of birds down there. The usual gulls, a few Swans, Mallards, Mersanger's and a few other things. I saw Cardinal, finches and Red Winged Blackbirds and best of all some Cedar Waxwings. I have not seen those in donkeys years. The blue birds are I believe Tree Swallows.











It will be great when the trees and shrubs foliate. It was a very dull day, but I can imagine when the sun's shining.




What I thought was all Gulls had a Tern among them. So far I know most of the birds I see, the only thing I was confused about was the Mersanger's I knew the brown headed one, but that turns out to be the female the black and white guy is the male. Well tomorrow, I hope for a better day, better weather at least.Oh one last thing, after Gerry headed back to the car and I was snooping around I found the Swan's nest. I couldn't get a good picture but managed one.


The other thing I suspect is an old Oriel's nest.

1 comment:

The Happy Whisk said...

All good shots. I love the wee little flowers.