Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Quarantine week 6.................

Well here we are still in quarantine for want of a better word. It's not so bad. Not for me anyway. For some of us who don't mind being alone, or at least being at home, it's not an ordeal. It is therefore hard for me to imagine how it must be for some. I know people are protesting, not just the fact they are told to stay put but some want to be at their summer homes, some are hurting because their businesses will be devastated by this. It will certainly be interesting to see how people get out of this. A lot of people are going to lose everything. I suppose being retired, not relying on work at this time is better than most. We shall see. I rely on God and put all my trust in Him. As long as we stay healthy things will work out, but not for everyone.
So what to do while we are shut in. Today I got caught up on the house so that tomorrow maybe we can work on the garden.








So a few friends from around the garden have entertained me some. I will keep the feeders out for them and maybe sow some sunflowers this year.
I have a confession. We did go out for a drive on Monday. It wasn't really a very nice day but I really wanted to get out. I had hoped that with there not being so many people around we might just see some animals but nope. Only some deer who looked like they are shedding their winter coats.




There was not a lot going on. All trails and beaches are closed. I saw one lady sitting in her car just watching the waves, another lady went for a walk. I took a few pictures of the beach and the river but it was not really a good day for pictures.They just said that garden centers may just open up May 1st. That would be good news if done safely.





Well, one of the things to do while "trapped" inside is to bake. I didn't have any butter left but found a recipe for "sweet bread"
Ingredients......2 cups of sugar....4 cups of all purpose flour.....2 tablespoons of baking powder.....1 teaspoon of salt.....2 eggs....2 cups of milk....2/3 cups of vegetable oil.

Grease 6 mini loaf pans or 2 regular size. (I used spray) Turn oven on 350
1/ combine dry ingredients, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder
2/ In a large bowl beat together the eggs and milk, then mix in the oil.
3/ mix in the dry ingredients a little at a time.

Pour the batter into the tins.
4/ Sprinkle sugar over the top of the batter. (if not using a glaze)
Bake 40 mins
To this basic batter you can add fruit or nuts or any other goodies like chocolate chips. It is a delicate tasting cake/bread. Will be great with Birds custard. It would be great with pineapple and a glazed top.




1 comment:

The Happy Whisk said...

The bread looks good. Fun to bake! And to him for car rides.