Friday, September 7, 2012

Sunday at Cowdray..............

Sunday, the first Sunday in England we took a trip to Cowdray Castle/House ruins. It was their Tudor Festival. Liz had sent me a brochure before we began to make out plans. It seemed like a great idea that would interest most of us. Well, come to find out there were many Tudor festivals that weekend. We probably would have done better at Arundel Castle where they had jousting. As it turned out Cowdray was a nice afternoon it was not crowded and so very enjoyable. It a was leisurely stroll through beautiful ruins. What a beauty it must have been in its heyday. It was built around 1520 for a Tudor nobleman. Henry himself stayed there a few times. Even Queen Elizabeth 1 was there. The house was taken by fire in 1793. In modern times the ruins have been made safe and are a popular destination for tourists. Capability Brown changed the gardens into a park land and the grounds are still wonderful to stoll through. Most ruins strike the imagination but walking through and seeing people casually stroll by in Tudor garb really made it interesting. Cowdreyjpg The re-enactors spoke as though they were back in the Tudor times, it was disconcerting at first but you got used to it. cowdrey2jpg cowdewr3jpg I spoke with a man who was showing woodwind instruments. Some hand made and beautiful. I learned about the reed inside of a reed flute and how it vibrated. Interesting. Then outside there was a booth with ladies working with herbs, that was fascinating, an interest of mine so I really enjoyed that. cowdrey8jpg Jason went up to the tower looked off the roof, I started up there but saw a sign that said no entry and went back down. I was not going to go up again. By sunday me and steps were not getting along too well. I was beginning to cultivate the biggest blister I have ever seen on my body. Jason took this shot through the arrow slit, would have got Mark if he had a bow and arrow. cowdrey1jpg Meanwhile I strolled through dreaming of how things once may have been, I love to do that. cowdrey10jpg cowdrey7jpg They have done a fine job of preservation on the ruins and I hope they last for many many years to come so that people can learn and appreciate our wonderful history. cowdrey9jpg Monday would begin our 3 day trip through Devon and Cornwall.........

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful thing to enjoy. We have some reenactments here, too, but they don't have the historical buildings that you have there- Blessings- xo Diana

DeniseinVA said...

Another great post, I'm enjoying your trip back to England immensely. Beautiful pictures. Were the people there hard to understand? I had read somewhere that if we went back in time we wouldn't be able to understand our own language because it has evolved so much since.

Claudia said...

Beautiful photos...so many beautiful places in England...your entry made me feel like I was right there with you!

Cindy Adkins said...

Ahhhh...how I would love to go there! One day!! Wonderful post and photos, Janice. I love to do as you do and imagine what it was like...who was there, etc. I love castles!!
Hugs, Cindy