Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Sand Hill Cranes..............

I saw on the news last night that the Sand Hill Cranes were back and there was a picture of a pair on Glen Lake.
Today we had Tristen, it's Spring Break. Well he and Cooper wanted to go to the childrens museum. Cooper as it happened stayed at Deidre's last night so he wasn't here. I didn't think Tristen would want to go but he did.He was sort of lost. He has outgrown it. The kids were all or at least mainly small children. I had a feeling he would be past it but he needed to know himself. He was a bit disappointed, said "It's changed" I said "No, you have grown up since the last time we were here". Well, I didn't have the heart to just go home so we filled up with gas and went in search of the Cranes.
 photo 20190327_105431_zpsiuja8t1a.jpg
 photo 20190327_105349_zpsyfudszjp.jpg
 photo 20190327_105104_zpsmutawclg.jpg
Another sort of dull day, the sun didn't come out till later on. We had decided to eat lunch at the Tavern in Empire but was too early yet so went in search of the Cranes.
We stopped at Inspiration point, the view out over the Narrows and Big and Little Glen Lake.
 photo 123_0018_zpskfoqwtrn.jpg
It was really windy so we didn't linger. The old leaves from last year were blowing over the road as though it were still Autumn. We went through Glen Arbor to Glen Lake to search out the SandHill's. They were there.
 photo 123_0022a_zpsgqs1ltj3.jpg
 photo 123_0028a_zpsoe4gfnhd.jpg
They are so elegant and majestic.
 photo 123_0034j_zpstsmr63ly.jpg
I bet they will nest close by. They tend to find a spot and hang out there. I know the ones at Port Oneida are usually in the same fields every time.
 photo 123_0035h_zpse7pa6qbv.jpg
When we were done looking it was time for lunch. We headed to the Tavern in Empire. Now, I have my favourite places to eat. Back a few years ago and this was my go to place for Mushroom, Swiss burgers. The best around. The last couple of times though I must say the prices are now exorbitant. The burger was 12.50 and fries were 4.50 extra. That is way too much for a burger. Not that good either and the service was very very slow even though they were not busy. I think they put the prices up for tourists. Well that's the last time I will stop there because although I don't mind paying for a good meal, combine that with lack of service and no thank you.
 photo 20190327_123623_zpsyi6rsqf1.jpg
Tristen got Mac and Cheese and ate the whole thing so there was that. Usually a job to get him to eat. Well we kept busy so I guess it wasn't a wasted day, and I got to see the Cranes.

3 comments:

Conservative Granny said...

The Dennos has free admission for kids with a paying adult this week. The Discovery Gallery might be more interesting for Tristen.

RugWeaver said...

Beautiful pictures!

Magic Love Crow said...

The bird photos are amazing!! $12.50 for a burger?? Wow! That is a lot!