Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Going Grey.......

My hair is grey now Actually I do on occasion colour it blondish white. My natural hair colour is black with a reddish tint. It seems though that most of my life I have coloured it red. I love red hair. Mum and me with our natural colour hair
 photo fromoldcomputer506_zpsqv5zrjx6.jpgLooking back it was a nice colour but I always wanted red. As time went on I experimented with colour and was happy to try brilliant reds to orange reds and all in between. It went with my skin tone and my eyes. I just had fun with it. I think I must only have gone back to my natural colour a couple of times.
My Mothers hair was black. Real black, when she started to go grey she did colour it. Hair dye was a lot different back then. She was working at Edwards, a grocery store in the village when she first coloured her hair. My Dad and I have a rather bad sense of humour and so when she was done colouring her hair and she came into the living room, her arms black up past the wrists. We tried so very hard not to laugh. She was most upset. Said "How can I work with food with my hands like this" She was almost crying and sorry to say when she went back to the kitchen to scrub and scrub at her black hands, Dad and I were laughing so hard (quietly) that we bout died. He tried very hard to keep a straight face and be supportive but only had to glance in my direction to start again with fits of giggles. She did manage to get it to a lovely purple shade and wore rubber gloves to work next day. I do not have a picture of that.
 photo 20170131_131047k_zpsk0sjcblw.jpg
Then I remember one summer my friend Margaret and I went off on holiday with my parents. Margaret came with us on most holidays. She was my constant friend. Anway, we were both into doing our hair and wanted to lighten it up a bit. We bought a spray that is supposed to lighten the hair in the sun. We sprayed and sprayed and no difference. Sprayed again a few more times and as we were going to Norfolk to stay in a cabin on the Broads well we sprayed again. On the way there we noticed a change. It kept changing. Went through several stages of red and kept changing. By the time the sun and everything got to it, well it was pretty yellow by then. Not sure I have pictures of that but this is it during the red stage. This is my Mum, Margaret and me in Norfolk.
 photo oldpicturesfromchip458_zpsnzleea19.jpg
The stuff really damaged my hair. I am not sure it was ever the same after that. In time it grew out and I left well enough alone for a time. Eventually though I got the bug again and went red.
My Dad had dark hair and most of my family did too except for my Uncle Ray who was a ginger.
when I was working it was an incentive to keep it up and I did, and I enjoyed it.
Me and Jason in North Carolina
 photo 102_0256_zps_zpsxnlt1jnt.jpg
Me home from work, still really red
 photo 20170131_141522k_zpsz57h01gb.jpg
As I got older I did tone it down a bit
 photo Coping012-1_zps5brskq5z.jpg
I had it stripped once to see how it would look but I never did like it grey. It was so drab and so I continued to colour it red. Maybe a bit lighter than before because it started to get thin as well.
 photo 11667208_10153420612739_zpsrqhrj3ny.jpg
The summer Jason and I went to England I stripped it down and did it blond, it came out yellow and I was not too thrilled with that.
 photo 13450284_10154246401384761_141654866038973823k_zpsftgh4igr.jpg
When I got back I used the lightest I could get. My own hair was by then almost white on front but that horrible dark grey at back. So I streaked it and cut off as much as I could and loved it. It was dark at the roots and white all over. That didn't last and I have not got that look again. I grew it long
 photo 20161_zpspucetvdz.jpg
I kept it that way for a time and now I just colour it now and then to brighten it up, but I stick to the whitest I can get and still do not mind the dark roots at the back because it looks good when its up.
 photo 16114947_10154899691794761_2411099459168010392_n_zps9nex7us0.jpg
Are we ever happy with what God gave us? Well maybe not but I do know I wish it was not getting so thin, I can live with the grey. If I must.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your hair has greyed beautifully,, I'm 62 and my hair is just starting to go mousey grey brown,, I'm thinking of dying it but hate to start! I enjoyed the photos,, you look great with red hair!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Red hair suits you perfectly, your complexion is just gorgeous.
When I was younger I used an auburn rinse on my hair, it looked natural, especially since my dad was an auburn-haired lad :)
hugs,
~jJo

Magic Love Crow said...

What great photos and memories! I have dyed my hair all the time, but I have to admit, as I am going grey right now, I think I will just let it come in. Natural streaks, right? LOL! I never knew your hair was so long! Wow! Big Hugs!

Kay G. said...

My hair began turning grey in my early 20's! It must have been solid gray by the time I was 30 but who knows? LOL! I use MEDIUM BROWN (LOREAL PREFERENCE) and it must be VERY popular because sometimes it is hard to find!!
Thanks for the photos of you over the years, you look good in every decade!
(My hair was always curly and frizzy...did you have the straightener called "The GIRL from UNCURL"...a joke on THe MAN from UNCLE!...I used that in the 60's, along with rolling my hair on orange juice cans!)
Ah the 60's when my looks did NOT go along with the style...I was born in 1957, so I was in the kid in the 60's but I so wanted to look skinny with straight hair!!