Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Times They are a-changing .........................

At my yard sale the other day I met a beautiful little girl. If you know me, well, I am just not impressed or drawn to kids. Oh I love my family most of the time haha, but I am not a warm huggy kissy person. I eschew physical embraces if possible. Not that I don't like it, I do. My personality though is to be withdrawn, shy? Not sure of the correct words but, well kids do not just rush to me for hugs. I think maybe I am wrong on that count, I can draw them in and enjoy but my tolerance is very low. So............with that in mind, this lovely little girl, really pretty little girl comes right up to me for a hug. She must have been about 5. She walks over to me, I am sitting at my sale, and put out her arms to be hugged and she sat on my lap, where she leaned against me and snuggled. Hmmmmmmm so we chatted for a few minutes as her Grandmother (I assume) looked around. The girl wanted to buy a couple of wicker chairs that came from my Mum's home long ago. Child size. She couldn't decide between the two and so Grandma bought both. She saw a couple of toys she liked and I gave those to her and because they were free I was awarded with another hug. They looked at the jewelry and the girl saw a necklace with a bird she liked but Grandma decided she did not need it, so I popped that in Grandma's bag with some other bits that she bought. The girl skipped off and Grandma thanked me. I said to her "She is a beautiful child, keep her safe."
 photo 83bbe3a85485c5ee3170d5cdde3fed55_zpswnyxf0a0.jpg
(pinterest image)
It made me think what a harsh world is out there now. It made me think about the way the world has changed since I was a child.
When my Dad grew up in our little village in England there was total freedom for him as a child. He wandered the same paths as I did growing up, the fields were our world. We had no fear. No one ever interfered with us, I can never remember being afraid. I wandered alone most of the time miles from home with no one ever knowing where I was on any given day. Same back in my Dad's day. Goodness we could have been killed in a fall playing in the chalk pits. No one would have known or drowned in the pits for that matter. However, it was never people who were the danger.
 photo 610e2fc6-0147-4d29-ad55-0def27ccb70c_zpslfyqjfnt.jpg
Sylvia and Me
I remember walking far over towards Tebworth a very small village about 6 miles away. I was picking blackberries and had my Poodle pal with me, well I got stung by a Yellow Jacket and my finger started to swell. It hurt. I stopped at a farm and knocked on the door. A lady with an apron on opened the door. I stood there and said "I just got stung" or something like that. She took me inside and put a "blue bag" on the sting to take the swelling down. Blue bags were put in when you boiled up the "whites" on the stove while doing laundry. It never crossed my mind that it could be dangerous to go into a strangers house, I just knew I needed help and at that time one went to an adult when you needed help, so that is what I did.
On another occasion a friend and my self, and I think it may have been Sylvia Miller, while walking over the fields on a summer day. We got thirsty so we knocked on someone's door and asked "Please can we have a drink of water?" we were never turned down. It was what one did. Now I think about it and it must be very strange to open your door to two little kids asking for a drink. It's what we did when there was not a stream close by. Yes we drank from streams back then, crystal clear water. What could be wrong with that??? In any case most of those farms had wells so it was the same water.
 photo 20170112_142847j_zpsntbbrd6y.jpg
So what happened? Have people changed? Or is it because this is America and not England? All I know is that parents get into trouble these days for leaving a kid in a car even if it's locked. I just read an article. A mother left her 4 year old in a locked car for less than 5 minutes playing a game while she popped in to get some candy or something like that. Someone, videoed it and the licence and handed it over to the police. I was reported for allowing Tristen to go over the back ally to a friends house where I could hear the children playing.
 photo 20170130_115013k_zpsi41cbhk7.jpg
My kids rode their bikes around the whole town, together to be sure and maybe 6 or 7 upwards. We lived out of town for several years and they did the same as I did they would be gone all day, eating apples and wild fruits getting to know the woods and fields around us. I was never concerned, I knew they would be back for supper. If they didn't show up I suppose it would be a guessing game as to where they were, although you could usually hear them haha. I on the other hand was a very quiet child. I could walk all the way to my grandparents house and then over the hills to my aunts house in Dunstable. They would usually give me bus fare so I didn't have to walk home. I loved my childhood. I was content to be alone.
Then there were days when we went shopping and would leave our prams with babies outside the store. Now I am sure that's not allowed. What changed?
 photo 15589757_1868820873360895_3811218046463000224_n_zpspctmnmvi.jpg
So I think of that lovely child and what have we done to the world that it is the way it is now? She is so outgoing and physical that I worry about her and that is very sad.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Janice I fear the world we grew up in has long gone, never to return..
I was an only child, and spent many hours by myself, walking to the swimming baths, and returning home at nine o'clock at night on the bus, or sometimes saving my bus money and walking home by myself. There were lots of people on the streets, rarely did I feel unsafe.
When I had my horse, I would ride for hours, in desolate countryside, I was never threatened or afraid.
Like you, sadly I fear for this generation, especially outgoing little girls.
My granddaughter is twenty seven years old, I am constantly telling her not to be talking on her telephone in parking lots, and to stay vigilant wherever she is.
Sad isn't it...
Hugs,
~Jo

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Sure is, and the little girl who sat on my lap, one hates to see her lose her innocence. It was refreshing and so cute. She was so pretty too............I fear she must change and that's so sad.

Magic Love Crow said...

I agree Janice, it has changed so much and it's not good! It's sad. I remember going to public school and going for a walk. I did the same thing, we would knock on a strangers door for water. That girl you met at your garage sale is special! I hope she never changes and changes the world! Big Hugs!