Thursday, August 9, 2018

Sad week.....................

Gerry is one of 18 children. Probably said that before but in case not, well, he is. His parents are both gone now. Last Monday we went to visit his sister Ruth who had been in hospital with pneumonia, for the 3rd time in the past year (I think) she was sent home in hospice care. That was a shock. We expected her to get better. Ruth lost her husband Kenny a long time ago. When we first came to the USA it was them who picked us up at the airport. At that time they lived in Flint, Kenny worked in the car factories there. Flint was not a good introduction to Michigan. We stayed the night and they drove us to their parents home in Traverse City. It was January and snowy. I had 3 children a 5 year old, 18 months and 3 months. It had been a hell trip. Traverse City was better than Flint, but to my eyes not much better. I had my first hamburger on the way up north. McDonalds. Not bad for a first.
Well Ruth is gone, she is the first and not the oldest of the 18. A good woman who took care of Ken when he was sick and then her parents one by one. A caregiver was Ruth.
The Schaub Family.
 photo 20170812_114207_zpskkf4u8hw.jpg
Ruth holding Gerry
 photo gale ruth gerald_zpscx4oe9bb.jpg
I called or IM'd the kids. Laura got off work and came up to be with her dad. Jason could not get time off work and Justin and Carrie were coming on Saturday and could be there for the viewing and funeral on Monday and Tuesday. Laura had to leave on Monday morning to go to work Tuesday, she was just able to stay for Justin and Carrie who she had not seen for two years.
That gave us some time to visit. We decided to take a run out to the Tea farm out on M72. It is called Light of Day Organic Teas I had wanted to show Gabby and so we left Reina in charge of Cooper and headed out. We enjoyed sniffing the various teas and learning a bit about tea making. We bought some Earl Grey and some Ceylon tea. Then took a look around the gardens. The owner they said was a Master Gardener. It looked like it too. A lovely garden. The tea is expensive but is very nice. Laura and Gabby have been drinking it since we got back. I have yet to taste it.
 photo 113_0107_zpsdzcgah1v.jpg
 photo 113_0145h_zpsatwe4kmy.jpg
 photo 113_0143_zpseiintutd.jpg
We spent a little time drinking some iced tea and admiring the gardens. Laura decided that as we were out she may as well have a look around the county for old times sake.
 photo 113_0137h_zpswe1zln6z.jpg
So we went for a drive, the usual old haunts out to Port Oneida. I must say the trip was a whole lot livelier than when I went with Gerry haha. Non stop nattering.
 photo 113_0186_zpsgxlck5ow.jpg
Less people than last time and a little bit cooler. Not much though.I love the old trees that surround the old farm houses. I always want to hug them.
 photo 113_0188_zpsmprvkl1k.jpg
 photo 113_0190_zpsrhaujupn.jpg
The beach was just how we like it. This little guy settled on my elbow and I managed to shift him onto my finger.
 photo 113_0193k_zpsgf9kh8uz.jpg
 photo k_zpsc1inunpg.jpg
The Wheat is almost ripe, we passed a field of Barley as well also almost ready, smell of hay fields. Mmmmmmmmm I love the country.
 photo 20180803_152320_zpswqcipmtm.jpg
 photo 113_0210_zpselbaba5r.jpg
 photo 113_0201k_zps9unoyugu.jpg
We saw a lot of those guys, Sandhill Cranes and Vultures
 photo 113_0203h_zpsniegz9ii.jpg
We didn't do much but went through the woods and a slow ride home through the fields and back roads to see cows. Not much else.
 photo 113_0215_zpsb1c4rgsr.jpg
Saturday evening Justin and Carrie arrived and we caught up.
Gerry and I had gone to see Ruth the Monday before she died. So we saw most of the family who had arrived from Florida and around. Everyone is getting old. We went to the viewing on this past Monday a week after we had visited her at home. I didn't go down to see her I prefered to remember her as she was last time I saw her when she was well, the funeral was nice. We stayed for the luncheon and visited with people. It seems once the funeral is done everyone brightens up. So it's a good time for catch up and visiting. I am glad it's over. Everyone has gone home and we are back to fixing things up around here. I gave Carrie my Dad's tapestries that he did. They had hung in my kitchen for many years, now they are to have a new home and pass things on to another generation. I have a couple left for Laura. Not yet though as they still have a place here. Carrie took a couple of my paintings. The wall is bare so I may paint some more. Everyone picked out the quilts they want from the stack I have to bind. Now I can get sewing to finish those off and send to everyone for Christmas, before Christmas though. So back to the mundane things now. Life goes on and Ruth is out of pain, death is wicked but brings relief from suffering.

3 comments:

Kay G. said...

I am sorry for your loss. One of 18 children! What a big family! My mom was one of 8 and I thought that was big! I love the photo of Ruth holding Gerry with her big smile. The photo of the dragonfly, you might think me fanciful but that made me think that Ruth sent that to you, as a sign of her love and everlasting spirit. xx
I always and always love to see your photos, you really do live in a beautiful part of this country. God bless.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Thank you Kay, that is a beautiful thought

Magic Love Crow said...

I am so sorry for your loss Janice! My father is one out of 13 children. There is only 3 left, of his family.
I love the outing you had! I love the country too!
Sending everyone in your family Big Hugs!!