Monday, January 14, 2019

Retirement 101.................

Christmas is over and it's now mid January almost. Where has this time gone? Well, for one thing after my visit to Dr Weber, the very next day I got a cold. Thanks to Cooper starting school it was the first I have had in 3 years or so. It was bad. Two whole weeks of coughing and sneezing and all that good stuff. Unfortunately for me the meds I took for the cough made my whole system, blood pressure and sugar and all that way out of whack. I felt ill. I mean not just sick but more than that. Dr Weber gave me two new blood pressure meds that made me shaky and just feeling horrible. The pressure would not come down. In the end I stopped taking one of the pills and stopped checking things. I figure you can make yourself sick just thinking of things. When I see him again I will be discussing my medications. The Thyroid medication I believe is responsible for all the muscle cramps and body pain. So even though he lowered the dose I have halved it again and it's a lot better. So when I see him again we will have words.
 photo 119_0643_zpschhbiiqw.jpg
Well that was one thing, during that time Gerry wanted the Christmas tree down. So he started that crap. That took me about 3 days to put stuff away and another 3 days to unpack and clean up. I did some Spring cleaning, things like dusting the walls and so on. Yes, dusting the walls. Having burgundy walls in the living room means it all shows. Just about that time himself got a cold. OMG a man cold. You would think he had typhoid. So everything stops when a man is sick. I should never have told him mine lasted two weeks. So we survived that. Barely. I have since finished all of that and am very happy with the results even though I really didn't find anything to get rid of other than books. Lots of books. Can you say yard sale come Spring?
 photo 48425311_10155596566781595_6325782697184591872_n_zpsf0lkkwor.jpg
 photo 49122727_10155595902386595_1482634796617170944_n_zpsail5l286.jpg
So Justin and Carrie came down for a few days and we went down to Frankenmouth. We had Tristen overnight and took Cooper as well. We went to Bronners, it's a huge Christmas store, does nothing but Christmas. It's a 3 hour trip. I was able to give Carrie her quilts that I had hurried (well you can't say hurried, guess I set my mind to finishing them) and got finished. She had wanted some paintings so I let her have what she wanted of those and I also went through my jewelry box. Most of my Mum's things Laura has but I had a few things left. I gave Danielle and Gabby things a few years ago but had some nice diamonds left. I kept one necklace and bracelet and my wedding set. The rest I gave to Carrie for her and her girls. Hey I can always get more right. I just want things to go where I wanted them to go while I could make the choice. SO, with all that done we just enjoyed their company. Frankenmuth is really a small town but is a tourist destination, probably more fun in summer. We had the traditional chicken dinner while there.
When we first came here Gerry's mum and dad took us down there for the "world famouse" chicken dinner and to visit Bronners. Personally I am not that impressed but its a place to go. The ornaments are either made in China or hand painted by the family who have always owned the place.
 photo Zehnders-restaurant-exterior_zps1kktufvb.jpg
 photo store-2017_zpsewtghkz6.jpg
After Justin went home we got back to sorting and the Spring cleaning. Guess I got things out of order here but hey ho.........I actually only finished that this week. Well when I was giving Carrie her jewelry I found Gerry's wedding ring and gave it to Justin. Gerry decided he could wear it and wanted to keep it. SO he was brandishing a wedding ring after not wearing one for 47 years. The disaster. He fell on the stairs. He missed the last step and fell, he was holding Bodi it was first thing in the morning. Thankfully he fell without hurting her because he would not have recovered from that. It was a very very loud noise believe me. I went to see what happened and all seemed well, poodles outside and Gerry in bathroom. He came out and I asked what the bang was, he told me. He said his finger got bent when he fell and he had to put it back into place and that made him feel queazy. No doubt, it would me too. He seemed fine though.
 photo m_zpsnfpuy50h.jpg
Next day his finger was swollen and he could not get the ring off. Should not have been a problem as it was not that tight but he began to obsess over it and made himself sick. I can't explain, neither can he. Anyway, the result was that he could not get this out of his mind and said it was driving him crazy. I had to take it serious because he was shaking and being totally weird. So............we went to the fire department and got the ring cut off. He immediately felt better. For awhile............last night he was feeling bad again, things going around and around in his mind and his blood pressure souring. In the end, worried he may have bumped his head, and after the episode where he was in the hospital with thr brain injury a couple of years ago..........I asked Gabby if she could take him to the ER. I can't drive at night and didn't want him driving. Cooper was sleeping so it had to be her. She very kindly did that for us. They did blood work, and did a cat scan and EKG. Nothing wrong. That was the fear, that he had hit his head without realizing it and reinjured it. SO............nope all was well, just his blood pressure elevated. They got it down somewhat but its still high today. Today he is going to a doctor and he can explain things to someone else. Maybe some anti anxiety meds are in order. I have no explanation. His tests show nothing wrong, but mentally he is still out of whack.
 photo 20180309_110126_zpsvpaul5m8.jpg
Picture of my Dad getting his retirement watch.
When Dad retired he seemed lost for a time. When you get up every morning to go to work and then don't have to it takes time to adjust. Lucky Dad liked fishing and his garden. Holidays over here and so on.
Now as far as I am concerned a large part of Gerry's problem is .......oh yes.....retirement. He has no hobbies, he does not read. He has no friends and no interests. Before the snow came we were going out and doing things but he obsesses about things. Money for one. I do not. I figure if we spend money on gas and maybe coffee or lunch then I cut back on something else. He cant grasp that idea. So he doesn't want to do anything. If I suggest things he says "well yes if we had the money" So..............I had two insurance policies on him, life insurance. One was a pay out on death but the other had money in it. SO I cashed that in. It saves me about 98 dollars a month (there's ya gas and lunch money) and the cash value was 9000 dollars. SO now we have a buffer in savings. I thought I might see that fly out the door with medical expenses just like my retirement money but thankfully now he is not working and we have things sorted out more. This little nest egg will help us with the house repairs and holidays maybe. That only time will tell. I want to keep it in savings and save up for the things that need to be done around here. I need/want new furniture but with the poodles and cats I may wait on that. Save up for what I want.
 photo 17903862_10155171249414761_5359363379572957974_n_zpssneyqyui.jpg
The end goal is to fix up and sell this house and then pay cash for a small one. This summer and maybe next summer I would like a camper and go visit Justin in the UP and Laura and Jason down state. Then when and if we sell this house we can always move to a place less expensive. I would not mind leaving Traverse City. It has grown so big and is so touristy now, plus we have seen everything around here. I would love the UP but that would be a commitment because it would be harder to sell up and move from there. I do know houses are very cheap up there and he can fix things up. Trouble is Justin and Carrie may not stay there forever. Then there is the option of moving down state closer to Laura and Jason, but I am not fond of downstate. I like the north. That would put us further from both of those guys though. Not only that but also Tristen.
 photo 49122174_10155596567676595_3888239498001121280_n_zpsfzlihhhv.jpg
However, we can not live our life always for other people. My kids have to live their own lives just as I did. It was not a good descision to leave England. We never intended that to begin with but that was the path we chose. Now both Laura and Jason live several hours away from us and are doing well in their own lives. Laura's move was a good one for her and her family. Jason lives where his work is. Justin lives where Carrie lives even though he also lives and works in Wisconsin, his family home is Baraga. To move from here would mean leaving Tristen. Tristen says not to sell this house because it was his mothers home and the last place he lived with her. There is that. I would feel bad selling for that reason alone. At our age now though we do not see a long road ahead of us. Money is tight and will be until we get out from under this house. We have to think of that. Gabby lives with us, and soon she will have to make her own choices, we can't always make our descisions based on what's good for everyone else.
 photo 13934774_10154372754424761_204734448187884101_n_zpsfuljefyc.jpg
So retirement........will he get though this crisis? Will I survive it? stay tuned. Just send us a million bucks and it would resolve a few things haha. I thrive on micro managing things. Apparently he does not (smile)..............ho hum.

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Well, I am always sad after taking down the tree, everything seems so bare-bones, but same as you, I do a little spring cleaning, and feel better for it.
Retirement.....we have been retired for seven years now, I never planned on retiring but after two surgically repaired ankles I have trouble standing all day long, without them swelling, so that was the decision made for me :(
That being said, I do enjoy being out of the rat-race, especially on mornings when I have had difficulty sleeping the night before, and I get a lie-in.
We would like to travel a little more than we do, just to New England, and Ireland and and of course home to England, to see my relatives.
We have a new great-granddaughter so we are happy helping with the babysitting, and of course it helps keep us active.
When you have animals to enjoy, going on holiday is not a priority, in fact it's a whole lot of planning and worrying, so we rarely go anywhere, that's ok too, I've done my rendezvousing :)
Lovely to see you are posting again Janice.
Be well !!
Hugs,
~Jo

Kay G. said...

Oh my dear, I wish I could sit down with you with a nice cup of tea and talk everything over with you. I am so sorry that you were so sick and also for your hubby's troubles. Everything always seems so sad in the winter to me, but we must remember that Spring will come again and will give us a whole new outlook on life. Take care of yourself!
That line about your husband might as well have had typhoid made me laugh out loud, you naughty gal!

Anonymous said...

Pame I always enjoy reading your blogs..I am glad you had your son and his wife visit you for the holidays..I think with time Gerry will adjust to his retirement and I can understand how he felt about his fall ..your plans for the future sound great..the best of luck to you bothla....

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Janice! Happy New Year! So good to hear from you! Boy, you've had a lot going on! Doctor's, sickness, falling, going out, deciding about your home! Make sure to breathe! Everything will turn out ok! Big Hugs!