Sunday, July 1, 2012

Material things...........

There has been a dramatic change in feelings since the "women's movement" .......I suppose that goes without saying really. When I read about my Grandparents and Great Grandparents I recognize how completely self centered we (meaning women) have become. They lived in a time that the man was supposedly the head of the house, but a wise woman knew she was the one who ran things. Each played a part. The woman raised the family and kept the house while the man worked to bring home the money to put food on the table. He would also supplement that income by any means possible.Odd jobs maybe or even poaching. After the first war the role of women changed and after the 2nd war there was no going back. Women had joined the work force and had a taste of freedom. Prior to that they did work from home, in our area it was plaiting for the hat industry. Children worked. Some as young as 4 years old. I got my information from the census and other documents while doing family research. Everyone was involved in family matters. When my Grandmothers friend died her husband had to leave and look for work, he took his son with him leaving his daughter with my Grandmother. She raised her. People didn't think anything of this, it was just what one did. When my grandparents lived in the High St in Houghton Regis, there came a time when the house was not big enough for the new child and so the older ones moved in with a neighbour. People helped each other. That's what people did. So today............what now? I believe that this life is not all there is. God does promise that we will be rewarded in Heaven for what we give up now. Well, I do not do things for that reward but I do believe that some people who have everything now and do not share with less fortunates, then they have their reward now. They have their rewards with those physical things and material goods that they have in their lives. More important to me is eternity. If I am wrong then I have lived a better life in any case and maybe been better for it. Material things are not that important to me even though I may enjoy what I do have. card-front1 I didn't mean that to sound as though I am against material things. I am certainly not. I think what I am trying to say is that (me included) tend to work outside the home to bring in more money to be able to get and do more things. It's only been since I have been at home after retirement and watching small children, and now raising my great grandson that I realize what I missed. I didn't work until my kids were in school all day, so I was lucky in that respect. Now I am so enjoying Tristen, the time I spend with him is enlightening and refreshing for me. I realize that what he will remember is the cuddles, and snuggles, the walks in the woods and the time we spend together. Not what I buy him. I do not have regrets they are a waste of time, but I am glad that I have seen something of what I missed before in what now seems another lifetime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting looking at the census returns and seeing the youngsters employed in the straw industry. The museum at Pitstone has an interesting display about it.

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful post- That is so true, isn't it? I often think that women did themselves a disservice in many ways- but that is just my personal opinion. I do like many of my liberations that previous generations did not have.

Thanks for commenting on my blog-it allowed me to find you and I am your newest follower- xo Diana

Kay G. said...

We need to be grateful that there are laws in place that children must attend school. Just think of all the children who had to work at very early ages and never had the opportunity for an education.
We need to think of a "fair balance" as regards material things...that is somewhere in the Bible!