Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year.................

I think this year especially I am ready for a new year. A symbolic clean slate. A new beginning. I don't bother with the celebrations any more. I would just as soon sleep it through these days. happy-new-year-1_zpse8e3ec6e It was not always so. I do remember probably the very best New Years Eve was spent in Trafalgar Square. I was living in Putney at the time, well between Wimbledon and Putney. I was working in London then. Well my boyfriend and his friend Len took me to Trafalgar Square for the New Year's Eve. I don't remember too much about the evening. I do remember people were dancing in the fountains, hanging in the trees and just having a great time. People sitting on the lions and I bet they would have climbed the column if they could. I have never been in such a crowd before. I can not remember fireworks. IMG_0246_zps3f26f375 When Big Ben struck midnight, there was such a roar from the crowds.......... big-ben_zps905c329f The whole crowd shifted, it was time to catch the last bus or the last train to get home and so the crowd headed towards the tube stations. We were carried along and I showed my boyfriend how I could take my feet off the floor and still travel. I suppose the danger of the situation did not occur to me at that age. There were kids dancing on the roofs of cars in the traffic jam that developed. Had to climb over cars to get to the subway. We made it home and I caught the last bus home. What a night. There have been better New Years eve parties since but nothing ever as memorable. londonnewyear380_zps27150c7f
Photobucket
Hooking up with Alderberry Hill and Make the scene Monday..................#55 Sharing with Blue Monday and Smiling Sally..............

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a great memory...at least what you COULD remember..lol Loved this post- Happy New Year to you- xo Diana

SmilingSally said...

Hi Janice,

Thanks for sharing your blue New Year's wishes.

Happy New Year and Happy Blue Monday!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such a beautiful scenery to start the new year!

I am playing catch up with Blue, hope you can drop by to see my BLUE
Have a blessed New Year to you and your Family!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Wishing you a very exciting New Year of all good things. Reading your post reminded me of a New Years spent with family and friends at The Chippewaugh Club in Iron Mountain Michigan. We went skiing for a week at Iron Mtn. 3 families,2 from Wisconsin and we were from Minnesota. Great fun.

Black Jack's Carol said...

That was an amazing description of your wilder days :) The incredible photo of the "snow cottage" is just as wild but in a different, magical sort of way that I think will inspire an adventurous 2013 for you!

Magic Love Crow said...

What a great memory! Happy New Year! All the best ;o)

JOHN SHORTLAND, Cotswold Hills, England. said...

Terrific post, Janice, as always.
Those were the days weren't they?

Fireworks on New Year's Eve came later - at that time they were only ever used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Night on November 5th. But the dancing in the fountains and climbing the famous lions - magical!

Have a very happy New Year, Janice. I so much enjoy our 'talks' on Facebook, glad to have you as a friend.

Johnson