Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gypsy's in the Hedgerows.........

When I was a child I lived in a small rural village, it had gas lights and thatched roofs on many houses or pubs. All gone now............growing up in the country, we were used to the Gypsies who came by every summer. They would camp in a farmers field, actually it was a space between fields with a gate to the road. They would be more or less out of sight and kept to themselves. They had the horses and the old fashioned caravans back then. Maybe not the fancy ones but at least horse pulled. gypsycaravans They called themselves Didicoys. The ladies made pegs and would walk around door to door selling them. I am sure there were other things they sold but I remember the pegs because mum bought some. They wore long dresses, headscarves and carried baskets. 1535-Slovenian-Gypsy-family-at-Ellis-Island-by-Augustus-Sherman (photo by A.Sherman) These older pictures dont usually show the painted wagons british-wagon The children were kept out of the way because I don't remember seeing them. There was prejudice I am sure, because I always heard that when something was broke or missing that the "gypsies" did it. I personally doubt it there were plenty of naughty kids in the village year around trust me. gypsy The men would sharpen knives and scissors and I know from experience that they did a great trade when they came along our street. We kids only looked out from behind the lace curtains I don't know if the adults still had hang ups about kids being stolen by the gypsies haha......predudice in many forms. Not us kids though we were in awe. First off the horses........the Gypsy Vanner. Oh what a beauty, I could do a post just on the horses. p1251157424485879 I am so tempted to post some more horses hehe...........ah well, here is one with a more modern day "Traveler" family. gypsy_caravan11 One thing I know, after they left us kids would go and see if they left any old pram wheels in the hedges. We used to use those to make "chariots" .....put a soap box on a set of wheels and you had the makings of a very cool chassis. Took a little ingenuity and soon one could be racing down Bidwell Hill.

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I loved and was always entranced by stories about gypsies. They fascinated me as a kid and still do, really. How interesting that your life intersected with them- xo Diana

Clara said...

I love your post and I want to read your blog because everything looks so interesting. I have a board on Pinterest called Vintage Bohemian. The follow me button is on my blog.
Thank you for sharing.
~Clara

Noelle the dreamer said...

Great post Janice! The horse's is absolutely regal!
Romanies/Gypsies were a regular happening on my grandfather's land. He welcomed them, loved their storytelling and they came back year after year. I remember my grandmother lamenting her four daughters (white) dresses smelling like smoke and flecked with wood ashes...After the war though, they never were seen again...