Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pancake Day...................

Shrove Tuesday(Pancake Day) is the day preceding Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Shrove Tuesday is determined by Easter; its date changes annually.
Popular practices are associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent.
As a child I loved Pancake Day. Mum would cook pancakes for supper. Yes, instead of dinner. We could eat as many as we wanted, and why not, it is at least good for you. In England the pancakes are different from the American "flap jacks". More like Crepes. We ate them with lemon and sugar.
 photo 54943_zps23d07c1e.jpg

 photo bcdaa598-de03-4559-bae2-c8440e83cdeb_zps9544e2c5.jpg

We had pancake races in the village. Such fun........the ladies ran with a frying pan and had to flip her pancake as she ran.

 photo 7c730200-eccd-4cb9-b0d2-5ee0856accdb_zpsebfd22f4.jpg

Still, the very best was eating them, and not having to eat dinner.
 photo 51b08921-28d2-4017-b420-a05cc4d10130_zps9a324508.jpg
In America they seem to go with Mardi Gras more than anything else. I don't care for that myself. The drunken revelry reminds me of Sodom and Gomorah and not much else. I don't think the pancake races are more fun but they are certainly more wholesome, and it is fun to watch. It involves the community rather than getting drunk with strangers and goodness knows what else. I am not judging people. To each their own, but somehow the old fashioned simple things appeal to me more.

5 comments:

Noelle the dreamer said...

Since Crepes are a favourite staple on the Continent I couldn't understand why ex-RAF hubby thought it should be a 'Shrove Tuesday only' meal! Ah! I changed that train of thought in a hurry (and we eat ours with sugar or jam)!
He also remembers well the races in his hometown! A fun day indeed!

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

Lemon and sugar Janice the same as you,although hubby prefers Lyles golden syrup.No accounting for taste ...
Ps
hubby making mine as I type.
Xx

Antiques And Teacups said...

I totally agree...pancake day in the UK is so much more light hearted and fun, and mardi gras is ...well, not for us. I have always loved the lemon & sugar, but I was raised with it. Love your vintage photos!
Ruth

Magic Love Crow said...

We had pancakes tonight with fresh raspberries! Yummy!!! Great post ;o)

Anonymous said...

yummo! I'm with you!!!