Sunday, July 29, 2018

Country roads and wildflower fields....................

Sunday drives, went on those when I was a child. Well once Dad got a car that is. He loved his car, it had to have been around the mid 1950s when he got the first car. It was not long after that when the Suez crisis erupted(1956) and England was out of gasolene. The buses were overcrowded and so he had to get a bike. Didn't bother me, we always walked to school anyway. In 1956 I was 10 and so was at an age that going out with the family was still fun. In England we had buses so cars were more a luxury than a necessity. In fact bus rides were a form of entertainment for me well into the early teens.
So today is Sunday and that's what we did, went for a drive. Gerry took the first picture of me taking pictures of Sunflowers
 photo 20180729_120103_zpsl3wqjdxn.jpg
 photo 113_0028_zpstfowbizc.jpg
 photo 113_0027_zps4f0y96ra.jpg
 photo 113_0026_zpssenwo6r8.jpg
So I had hoped the Sunflowers were out on the road to Lake Leelanau, not quite, but they still looked pretty. I love old barns, I think I have said that before. We were headed for Leland. I had wanted to walk on the beach and look for Blue Stones. It is disappointing to say they have made the beach private.There is a very very small public beach, the rest is now private. It always has been but, there is the rule that we can walk on the shoreline no matter who the property owners are. I guess people just do not respect privacy anymore and so this has happened. As I could not see any sign of stones along the beach, I decided against it and we continued on with the idea of looking for the graveyard near Northport.
 photo 113_0032_zpsedt1549b.jpg
 photo 20180729_122808_zpspqalmnlu.jpg
The problem was we didnt bring the maps/directions. We did stop at the Onominee Rd beach though, people there so headed the other way down the beach from them. It's very pretty.
 photo 113_0046_zps9isvipdi.jpg
 photo 113_0038_zpsorupyo1r.jpg
Saw this guy on the beach.
 photo 113_0048k_zpswkxkrtd5.jpg
Wildflowers on scenic roads.
 photo 113_0050i_zpsi87tzwe9.jpg
 photo 113_0057_zpskpwonhhq.jpg
 photo 113_0031_zpspcy0fqus.jpg
So we went back and forth along the country roads after deciding we were not going to look for the graveyard and it was rather relaxing.
 photo 113_0060_zps3qvsdmmv.jpg
We changed direction and headed towards Port Oneida, more familiar ground. Stopped to see what was happening on my fav lake. They have put up signs. Cool. I saw a blue heron fly by just above the reeds, too quick to focus my camera though.
 photo 113_0072_zps6qdyh6uh.jpg
 photo 113_0069l_zpsmkr0f9bl.jpg
 photo 113_0087_zpsstelrfao.jpg
 photo 113_0086_zpshzwk0lt4.jpg
The house and barn that are close by are being taken over by the water. It will some day sink like the House of Usher. For now though it's still pretty and accessible.
I was hoping to see turtles sunning themselves from the bridge but this was the only one, a tiny tiny one.
 photo 113_0084j_zpsxvc2jltm.jpg
 photo 113_0076_zps03s1rznj.jpg
 photo 113_0074_zpsntlws9mq.jpg
 photo 113_0066_zps7l8kcedl.jpg
I checked out the old school house because they had put up a sign.
 photo 113_0077_zpsjw9plqut.jpg
 photo 113_0079_zpsxlzbcws2.jpg
 photo 113_0081_zpsg5cd2pvi.jpg
From there we headed towards home. Gerry had his mind on Burrito's by then, and the Hayloft was our destination. Once the mind was set on food all was lost. We did not pack a lunch so by now at 3pm he was "starving" his words not mine. I would have been content to go on another few hours, that's OK. Another day.
 photo 20180729_152452_zpstyyeqwoj.jpg
 photo 20180729_152452h_zpsrwvq5aio.jpg
 photo 113_0106_zpscmgbhk9u.jpg
Before we stopped to eat we pulled over at a "scenic view" I wanted pictures of the clouds but they were in a different direction. When we got home we saw it had rained. We had not seen any all day.
 photo 113_0104_zpso0jt0yd2.jpg
Next trip we will be organized and have the route planned. Then maybe we will find the Indian graveyard.
Back when we were at the lake I saw a pretty little bird and managed to get this shot.
 photo 113_0098l_zpsmis1eb4n.jpg
 photo 113_0097l_zpss0njhzim.jpg
Not sure what he is, I must look this one up..........It is a Tennessee Warbler who is a migrant bird. I had seen him earlier in the rushes but not close enough to ID. He came and sat in a tree right next to me. I was happy because I had seen a few birds I would have loved to photograph who were less cooperative........
After the Burrito and a Margarita it was home for us until the next time.

2 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Such a nice outing Janice! Loved all the photos! That's too bad about the beach being private! Love the old school house! Big Hugs and Happy August!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Janice you share the most beautiful pictures of your days rendezvousing that precious coastline, so much fun, and now that you have your husband to travel alongside you are traveling far and wide :)
Love, love, seeing all the sights and buildings in your are.
Hugs,
Jo