Monday, May 14, 2012

Robin Hood.............

The Arrow and the Song
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth, I knew not where; For, so swiftly it flew, the sight Could not follow it in its flight. I breathed a song into the air, It fell to earth, I knew not where; For who has sight so keen and strong, That it can follow the flight of song? Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke; And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.
Photobucket Robin Hood..........was it his real name? Probably not. Robin of Loxley? I don't know. I do believe he was a real person though. In fact there were bones found exactly where they would have been had Robin been buried where the arrow landed. I read somewhere that the theory was tested and that bones were found. I also think there is now a tomb there, or a marker at least. It was a long time ago that I read up on this. Here are a few of my favourite Robin Hood's. Photobucket Richrd Todd one of the first and best. Many others but I did not like most of them. Photobucket Photobucket Kevin Kostner...Prince of Thieves. 70d84135 Photobucket Russell Crowe as...Robin Hood. Robin-Hood-2033 Rob the Rich to feed the poor? Not exactly. At this point in English history the land was in turmoil. Invaded by the French..... William of Normandy had a heavy hand. He had to. The English would not take defeat lightly and wanted no foreign King with a foreign language. Much like when The White people took America, the English either assimilated or died. The lands were taken from original land owners and given to Norman barons. So it was that some rose up to fight a battle of guerrilla warfare. They took not from the rich but from those who had taken everything from them. They gave back to those who had lost everything. So a legend was born and has lasted until now. Who can not love such a person? We need hero's and Robin was that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Kevin Costner version, but only because it stars Alan Rickman!

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

I like them all...xx