Sunday, September 16, 2018

Logans Landing....................

We had to drop some stuff off at Goodwill the other day. I had seen activity down at Logans Landing and was curious, so as we had to turn there to go back home we stopped to look. I didn't have my regular camera unfortunately so did not get good shots. Ah well...............I remember when the road was put in as a double hwy and the lake dried up almost. It was a year that my parents came with Mark and we could walk out quite a way to feed the ducks and geese. This picture taken early 1970s
 photo 20170128_192552k_zps6l4zwh9k.jpg
The shopping center was created and a park. The shopping part has died off but there is huge potential there as it is a vert attractive set up.
 photo 598cb26d20593.image_zpswggisyfo.jpg
It was never a booming success and faded away over the years with just a few regulars there. Apparently now new owner are going to do a major overhaul and that would be wonderful. It's a great place to browse and shop if there were some key business to draw folks in, especially with the park, river and lake, a bike/walking trail and so on. So anyway........we stopped to check her out. The park that is. I had seen the kayaks and wondered what was happening.
 photo Logans_Landing_zpsobzdrpwr.jpg
Well, it was very different. There is a bike rental and the kayaks with a launching deck. The bike trail I would imagine drew those renters in. I preferred it as it was before because now the ducks, swans etc are discouraged. It used to get pretty yucky when everyone fed them. Now it's not allowed. Rather a disappointment but at least it's clean. So after walking around and seeing the low water levels I realize that it still has wildlife potential. The water levels being low because they took out the dam and changed the course of the river. That is still a work in progress as they are still working on that and all the trails down by the river where the dam was. Anyway I saw a Heron in the distance on one of the drier spots
 photo 20180914_132752a_zps2qgp6rs9.jpg
I wished I had my proper camera, but you can see the Heron out there. The river used to be full of wild fowl but has been rather sad and empty of late.
 photo 20180914_132329a_zps8lbvksns.jpg
Lots of gulls though.
 photo 20180914_132337a_zpsgrvnyhht.jpg
The Mallards were hopeful but disappointed.
 photo 20180914_132624j_zpsnx535mzv.jpg
 photo 20180914_132631_zpseetafvu7.jpg
I remember one winter going down there for lunch. I got out of the car on a windy icy day, the parking lot was covered in a sheet of ice. I almost got hit by a Swan coming in for a landing, I think he parted my hair and landed on the ice and went for a nice slide before gaining footing. Beautiful BIG birds they are. Big wingspan.
So no more feeding of ducks but will watch with interest to see if new owners can bring the shops back to life.
we went out to Gallagher's after to pick up some yummy bread they make. Pizza bread.
 photo 20180914_142735_zpsahfdgyyb.jpg
The bread is amazing, I froze one to have with pasta another day. I bought some Fingerling potatoes and some green beans that we had for supper that night. I love farm markets and love Gallagher's because they have the bakery there too. Usually we have kids with us and go down to the hay maze and watch the animals etc.........but this day we were on a mission.
I bought a Cherry crumble pie to have with ice cream. Yeh, I know, I am diabetic but well........whatever.
Also bought Honey Crisp apples
 photo 20180914_142639_zpsfitv0l8h.jpg
I was disappointed that they had no corn anymore boo hoo.
 photo 20180914_140405_zpsoeqko8ck.jpg
 photo 20180914_135802_zpssrfnxxkv.jpg
 photo 20180914_135659_zpsqlezvlic.jpg
 photo 20180914_135722_zps2jdly41q.jpg
I am sure we will soon be back, they always have great stuff there and a nice store of home made jams and salsa's etc........donuts and stuff we did not get.....I can only be so bad.

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, what a great time! I have to say, my mouth is watering from that bread! Looks so good! I bet the cherry crumble pie was amazing! LOL! That's interesting about how they are changing the way the river flows! Big Hugs!