Friday, September 7, 2018

Yard sale adventures................

Well I had my 2nd yardsale this week and it's been a whole lot of fun. Really it has. I have met new neighbours as well as some really nice folks who live close by. It has been hectic. I set up mostly on Wednesday to run Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week. I think this will be my last at least for this year. What a lot of work this one has been. I have managed to accomplish a lot in the process though. The basement is cleared of all access rubbish and stored stuff. I just have Christmas things now stored down there. I can't get to those until we get things out at Thanksgiving.
 photo 20180906_101543_zpsw6dxsrdo.jpg
So.........I worked my tail end off up to that point. I made 250 in all last time, that was nice but no where near what I needed. We sorted out the garage. That is still a work in progress. I had boxes of fake flowers and wreaths in there. Sorted those out while running the sale. It was non stop people. I got outside at 7.30 Thursday and was set up and priced pretty much by 9am but people started showing up as soon as we moved out the cars. The sale was in the driveway. So no breaks for me. What fun though. Some very nice people came, lots of conversations and getting to know people from around here. I am amazed at what people will buy. I mean I have really pretty stuff out there at low prices, mostly one dollar and under now the big stuff is gone. So I bring out these fake flowers and old wreaths to sort out, mainly to see what I can use or throw away. I made them into bundles because some of them were pretty nice. 50cents a bunch and they were all gone. People bought the laundry baskets I had stuff stored in. The bought the boxes and crates. They were crazy for the books. I had a huge variety of books and the ladies who do crafts loved those. Those are the ones who would strike up conversations.
 photo 20180906_101558_zps0yerjhuu.jpg
I brought in all the clothes and got them all washed again and set out. They went very well. Still a few left for tomorrow but not a lot. I had a load of craft magazines that I put out for people who bought books, they could take a bunch free. They loved that but..........one lady, when I said they were free took a whole crate full and went around gathering all she could find. I didn't say anything but well, how selfish is that? That's fine. They are gone now. I have a big box of old Victoria magazines and those are the good ones, remember how nice it was before it was sold and changed. So now I am giving those away. When little kids come if they are nice, and most of them have been, well they get to take a toy or stuffie. Two little girls had a dollar to spend and wanted a teddy, it was 50 cents. I get their change and they are soooooooo reluctant to give over their dollar haha. Mostly I usually just give it to them but they were so anxious to spend their dollar. There were 4 little ones in the group and the two older ones kept their dollars they were waiting for something they really wanted. The little ones just want to spend their money.
 photo 20180906_101608_zpsj9mo9ok3.jpg
One lady came from Iraq we talked for a time and that was very interesting. Then another lady said she was born in England, she had to be around my daughters age. She said she was born in Bedford. I said so did you folks serve at Chicksands, ( air force) yes she said............wow........that's where Gerry served. We lived in Bedford when we first married. She lives somewhere close by here so I am hoping she will come back, she said when her mum comes into town again she will bring her over. I am hoping some of the ladies who said they would drop by do, we had some great chats.
 photo 39869292_10216707912720300_831388188265152512_n_zpsltorrz4t.jpg
Then some lady parked at the end of the drive over the road and I did not notice. Well the woman over the road came home, laid on the horn and yelled her head off at her. The yard sale lady moved the car and several other people were there too so I was distracted. As soon as the cop car showed up I knew what she had done. So things quieted down and two young officers strolled in to the yard. I waved and smiled and said "I bet my neighbour called didn't she" he gave me a nice smile and nodded, said yeh your fine she calls us quite often. (phew) He asked me if I knew the ordinances and I said I did because "someone" called on me last time (a couple of years ago) I had a sale. I said that I was told I can have 2 a year for no longer than 3 days at a time. He asked if I knew about the signs, we are not allowed to put them on posts or on city property. I said yes I was told that but.............My husband (pointing to Gerry sitting with the dogs in the yard) Is the sign sticker upper.............the officer looked at Gerry and said "Boy she sure threw you under the bus right away buddy" and laughed. They were so nice, so young, when did cops get so young and cute. He said it looks like a nice sale and to enjoy myself I was just fine.
So that was interesting. Hey I don't blame my neighbour for being mad, I would be too, sometimes people are unreasonably unthinking. Still she didn't need to be rude to the lady or call the cops. I figured it was her last time but I have never said anything.
 photo 39906011_10216707909840228_4095986688151519232_n_zpsmzyybzhg.jpg
I am hoping this is the last sale I have but somehow I doubt it haha. Anyway, one more day and what fun will await me tomorrow. Almost made my goal and if I do that I will be very happy. I got a few ideas for yard ornaments from one lady and people bought all my stones that I decorated. Cool. Now I have to make a bunch more. I will have a very productive winter. I am hoping next week will be nice like this one so I can work in the yard. I am itching to get at it.

3 comments:

Maureen Hack said...

It looked like you had a great time chatting and selling stuff. Why can't peop6be polite and not call the cops. At least they were understanding. Hope you have a successful day today.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh Janice, I see lots of goodies there, what a great selection of dishes !
It's been years since we had a yard sale, these days, we take it all to Goodwill, just to get it gone :)
Glad your sale went well.
Hugs,
~Jo

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you Janice! I'm proud of you!!! Sounds wonderful! Too bad about the neighbour, but you had some nice cops, which is good! You "had" lots of cool jewellery!! I would have been shopping at your place! LOL! Big Hugs!