Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Woman's Walk...........

Yesterday was such a lovely day. We are trying to walk a little bit every day. Today we went to Meijers, that was enough. It would have been pretty though. Very windy and storm clouds with sunshine too. Bet there's a rainbow somewhere.
Well, To start off yesterday we went on "The Women's Walk" over by the State Hospital (that was). No longer a hospital now. More on that later. The Women's walk was for the women patients to get exercise. It runs alongside Kid's Creek. Kid's creek goes everywhere. It winds hither and yon and has Salmon in it. It's very shallow so the fishing should be easy I would think. I bet before there were rules you could just stick ya hand in and whip them out. Now you pay for the privilege by buying a licence and I suppose that's fair as the DNR or whomever keeps the Lakes stocked with fish. Anyhooo......our walk started out a bit muddy from the rain but it's a nice short walk.
 photo IMG_0056_zpswcrowobo.jpg
 photo IMG_0054_zpsb6tp8e9o.jpg
Look at the size of those trees.
 photo IMG_0050_zpsj1rkk8jm.jpg
The walk begins just off the road by the Munson Medical Ctr and has picnic tables I suppose for employees who work there now. It follows the Creek and then turns off at an angle. If you kept going it would bring us to the main road.
 photo IMG_0063_zpsup4dv2w6.jpg
The rain and swift water in places make little dams and waterfalls
 photo IMG_0059_zps6eu5tj6w.jpg
 photo IMG_0053_zpsigfogx1d.jpg
Turn away from the water and there are some really nice trees.
 photo IMG_0074_zpsmpl4th8l.jpg
So close to traffic but a world away
 photo IMG_0065_zpsckj6sbgk.jpg
 photo IMG_0064_zpsxfchl9o3.jpg
We followed the path but it got soggy so we turned back.
 photo IMG_0072_zpsbevowgfo.jpg
I am not sure how far the path would have gone but I was not in the mood for wading.
It was such a nice day I was not ready to go home. We were so close to the State Hospital that we drove over there to the Farm that was a part of the Asylum. We took the back path up the hill looking for a way into the woods, Gerry was ready to quit. It was a good workout and my lungs were bursting. I wanted to take some pictures of the view out over the town.
 photo IMG_0089_zpshgyjjutr.jpg
 photo IMG_0091_zpsrlkq4drv.jpg
 photo IMG_0092_zpsiya28epm.jpg
We found a path into the woods. There are many many acres of trails throughout the property that was once the farm and Asylum, now all open for us to enjoy.
 photo IMG_0095_zpshzb7ykp4.jpg
 photo IMG_0094_zpser2yhyvb.jpg
 photo IMG_0087_zpszn1ewcfa.jpg
We had gone the way we did because there was a family with little kids who were most likely looking for the Fairy houses. They were very noisy haha. The last few years people have put Fairy houses in those woods. It's cute but actually a mess by the end of summer.
 photo IMG_0108_zpsxnxba2pp.jpg
 photo IMG_0104_zpsqqv1my9z.jpg
I think the fairies prefer more natural homes
 photo IMG_0158_zpsfxmbvmbk.jpg
Anyway, we caught up with the family still looking for the fairy houses when we came back, so I guess it was worth it to them. They had a cute dog.
It was so pretty out there I was not ready to go home
 photo IMG_0096_zpsnqfmc7w6.jpg
 photo IMG_0116_zpspoixsdyi.jpg
I told Gerry to go park somewhere while I carried on. I wanted to see the deer that were over on the side.This plaque explains. Thanks to Twisted Fish gallery, one of my favourite places.
 photo IMG_0122_zpsm0h41kd5.jpg
 photo IMG_0119_zpsjozwcnwr.jpg
 photo IMG_0118_zps3vqbc2p5.jpg
I checked out the Labyrinth but it's still grass so I didn't walk it. This place is all going to be wonderful when all done. I thought I would check out the walled garden instead.
I have shown this earlier in the summer. I checked to see if the birds nest was still there. It was
 photo IMG_0135_zpsf3hi5lqe.jpg

Because a walled garden keeps in the heat for longer there were still some flowers in bloom.
 photo IMG_0139_zpslbyj7vff.jpg
 photo IMG_0132_zpsaw9fz3aj.jpg
 photo IMG_0131_zpshjg1thra.jpg
I sat in the Zen garden for a short time to pray.
 photo IMG_0140_zpsefqgjacz.jpg
 photo IMG_0143_zpswrehtycf.jpg
 photo IMG_0146_zpss33iikde.jpg
 photo IMG_0149_zpsjgtk3bwe.jpg
 photo IMG_0155_zpsc8sez0gh.jpg
The first garden is made from where the horses were kept and they left gravel for each stall and the horse trough etc. Looking down from above this is what you see
 photo IMG_0127_zpsgazxuhjr.jpg
 photo IMG_0126_zpszebf3meh.jpg
There will be more work done there in the near future, but for now time to head home. I had to stop and say hello to Colantha the prize cow though. She is buried there.
 photo IMG_0156_zpsridcbanh.jpg
 photo IMG_0157_zps9jslzbqr.jpg
So nice she is remembered.
I will leave you with a few pictures of the Hospital as it is now. Full of apartments, arts and craft shops, coffee houses, bakery and lots more fun places. More buildings being renovated and so beautiful. It was all due for demolition but was saved. Thank goodness, its all too beautiful for that.
 photo IMG_0159_zpsen6s8gfu.jpg
 photo IMG_0112_zpsv5gxpdp1.jpg
 photo f21e6b78-2942-4132-a068-ca71b234f362_zpsiazdgq7l.jpg
You would never believe all the buildings over there. One day I will have to do a complete walking tour to get more pictures, this one is being worked on.
 photo IMG_0081_zpsppogwhpv.jpg
Well I think I have filled enough space here so better go.

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Janice! What an amazing day! You went to so many places! You had a great day for walking! The sun was shining! Beautiful photos! Big Hugs! (Love the deer!)