Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A sunny Monday..............

Just had to get out in the sun again. It was blustery and cold but need to get that Vitamin D. I don't mind the cold. I can tolerate quite a bit, Gerry stays in the car, he doesn't like it. I had to admit it was certainly nippy with the wind chill. Never mind, the sun felt good.
We are watching for Snowy Owls, so far no luck. In fact this day we saw nothing until we got to Empire and the deer we watch there.
So first off the back road to Suttons Bay.
The river at Lake Leelanau.


We intended to go first to get coffee at Lake Leelanau, The Pedaling Beans and a blueberry muffin for him and scone for me. Delicious as always.
We were headed to Fishtown in Leland to see how things were going. It was bone chilling so I didn't hang around long but, wow the water was raging. I decided I would skip the beach after seeing the breakers coming over the sea wall and the howling wind. It is as always beautiful though so I took some pictures.





They tell us the there are often Otters playing around there but they sure were not this day. I wonder where they live? The water goes under a lot of the huts (now shops) and under the board walks. I was a bit skeptical walking on it with the water so high and angry looking. I sure hope they can save this place its so unique.
So next we just headed in the usual direction, I just wanted some pictures of the lakes and the rough waters. The colour was spectacular. Once we faced a different direction it wasn't so windy. So we went down Bohemian Road and I snapped a few of Good Harbour Bay.
It was calm there.


So then we went to Shalda Creek and I walked to the beach. You could see SUgarloaf from there.





My batteries died so I had to go back before I got pictures of the creek coming into the Bay. Next time. I took a picture of the old 1776 barn, that property is for sale now so I wonder if they will repaint it. My Mum and Dad came that year of the centennial so I think of them when I see the barn.


On to Port Oneida, and I managed to walk over to the boardwalk but nothing to see. Just the frozen lake.

We stopped an looked to see the Beaver activity but no one was around. Went down to the beach and oh boy was it windy there. My eyes running so bad I couldn't see. It would have been a great day for stone picking but so cold they were frozen so I didn't linger




Skipped some of our other places and headed for Empire for our deer fix. Sure enough they were there.


The only animals we saw that day. Boo hoo.......better luck next time. Supposed to be nice on Friday. May go to Frankfort to see the flooding.
We checked the activity at Empire beach before heading home. They are working on the repairs from the storm.



Was certainly rough and windy but beautiful. We have to go further afield next time. We get in a rut, certain places we like, but there is just so much more to see. Its been ages since we have gone up to charlevoix let alone Petoskey and years since we have been to Harbor springs. Next Spring.........longer trips I think.

No comments: