Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Retirement has benefits.......................

So today it was nice cool day, rained early on. I wanted to go to the beach and collect some stones. I said, shall we go to the beach or clean the carpets. We were out the door quite quickly. We headed for Leland, figured may as well look for some Blue Stones. Nothing. Not a thing. I did pick up some small flat round stones suitable for painting. The powers that be have "improved" the beach. They dumped a whole load of sand and made the first part of the beach a lot wider, probably because the rest is fronted on to summer homes and is supposed to be private. So if you want to go to the beach and play, you stay in that area. We can walk the shoreline and that's all we like to do so fine with me.
Gerry took a picture
 photo IMG_0004_zps0n8gztyh.jpg
I will have to learn to accept his off the cuff pictures. Is my bum too big? I think so.
Anyway, some pictures of the beach.
 photo 20180613_113928_zpsf1jydxgb.jpg
 photo 20180613_115659_zpsgkcvl0gq.jpg
When we left the beach we went back through Lake Leelanau. I always meant to stop at the boat launch. So we did. It has a lovely little picnic area there. Quite nice. So I was able to get some pictures. This is Lake Leelanau.
 photo 20180613_125305_zpszaue1siv.jpg
 photo 20180613_125151_zpsyjabaseb.jpg
Saw this very busy mama duck with 18 babies
 photo 106_0005a_zps37w3eagu.jpg
A very pretty lake, now very expensive. We next stopped at the Narrows, a bridge that crosses the river that joins the Lake together. I just stopped for pictures.
 photo 106_0034_zpscirjfhqq.jpg
 photo 106_0033_zpsq8utzpqw.jpg
So Where we parked was near the river but not an access site so it was all rushes right there. Got some pictures of some Red wing Blackbirds.
 photo 106_0014f_zpsahfpeekh.jpg
 photo 106_0020j_zpshzmexcks.jpg
He was so pretty.
Next we stopped for coffee. I got a frozen white chocolate mocha and Gerry got the same only hot. we both got scones. He is not used to doing this.
 photo 20180613_132733_zpsecxnvixg.jpg
He is learning to relax and enjoy. He is also learning what Laura and I got up to, uh oh......
 photo 20180613_132730_zpswrrzbmqz.jpg
We will have to pack snacks and drinks now though, can't spend the money and gas is over 3 dollars now. That's OK I can improvise.
So after that we went back home along the southern shore of Lake Leelanau into Cedar. Look who we saw on the way home.
 photo 20180613_135108_zpsfgrcgngc.jpg
Two Sandhill Cranes tried to cross the road. One made it but the other went back when we stopped. A Leelanau Co sheriff stopped along side, I gave him a big grin, he just said to pull over we were in the middle of the road. Did not want to hit the Crane. I think he saw them so knew what we were doing. I got out and walked over to take pictures. They were not happy one on one side of the road and one on the other they were yacking at each other.
 photo 106_0040a_zpsb2js8ktx.jpg
 photo 106_0042j_zpsflzjfjwr.jpg
I love the Cedar area, lots of Cedar swamps for the deer and critters. Also very pretty.
 photo 20180613_134751_zps5x8ws8zx.jpg
I think he may get used to this.

3 comments:

Kay G. said...

You are so lucky to live near such a gorgeous beach! Glad you left those carpets for another day! Love the photos of the cranes, we have red winged blackbirds here and I also think they are lovely but those cranes, we don't have those, at least not that I have seen!

Magic Love Crow said...

You have a perfect butt Janice! LOL!
Those cranes are cool! Never seen one before!
Love the photos! Big Hugs!

laurajane said...

So happy you still get to go on adventures. Now dad can enjoy and yep...get to know what you and I got up to hehe. Nice to see him relaxing!!! You two will get to be good friends again and remember what it was like to be a couple with NO kids tagging along fighting and making noise. :)