Monday, June 18, 2018

Too hot Sunday..........

The weather was oppressive this Sunday, it was so hot and humid. Even with fans and air con and dehumidifier going it was headachy. So we decided to go for a drive. The air in the car kept us cool. First off there was a road I had wanted to explore. I am pretty sure we had to have taken it before but not that I remember. so we drove towards Empire on M72. The Iris are about done at the farm, so are mine in the garden. FLowers just do not last long. The road off of 72 is Frederickson Road and there are some pretty old barns along the road.
 photo 20180617_155507_zpsithpzttt.jpg
 photo 20180617_135046_zpsqneefsnw.jpg
Some are well cared for but others are falling down, very expensive to upkeep. Shame because they get replaced by metal.
 photo 20180617_134913_zpsrj5pbz5r.jpg
 photo 20180617_134802_zpsbtw7astc.jpg
 photo 106_0104_zpsxa4jzvm6.jpg
 photo 106_0103_zpsp492uhsb.jpg
 photo 106_0092_zpsyjhs9qk4.jpg
The barns that sit in meadows are particularly attractive.
 photo 106_0100a_zpswerpg9ba.jpg
 photo 106_0105_zpstsyiep0m.jpg
 photo 106_0111_zpsrya4jwod.jpg
Well anyway, Frederickson road proved to be a shortcut for us, it bypasses Empire. So we will probably take that road a lot. Roadside flowers
 photo 106_0059a_zpswyvulwyv.jpg
We took a drive up onto the Dunes, one good thing for us is we get a pass because we are old haha and so we go frequently. The day was hazy so we didn't stop at the views and being hot there were a lot of people. It was cooler and breezy so we had the windows open. This made that trip worth while.
 photo 106_0075kl_zpsctpmxqw1.jpg
 photo 106_0073j_zpszrha639y.jpg
 photo 106_0068a_zpsslgagt5q.jpg
I had seen the deer or what I thought was a deer and we stopped and I walked back to see if I could find her. They are in their summer coats now and so pretty. Someone asked what I had seen and I said I was looking for the deer but they didn't wait, pity because she had a baby with her. Ah well, patience is a virtue with bonus.
She watched me watch her and the baby was just oblivious.
So that was just a quick trip with only that one stop along the way.
We went slow along the road where the pond is. I thought last time I saw a Swan nesting and I did, this time I used the zoom on my camera and I saw at least 4 babies in the nest with Mama, Dad was fishing.
 photo 106_0085k_zps6rjghvav.jpg
We went down a side road instead of into Glen Haven but nothing to see but meadows and beautiful trees and dunes.
 photo 106_0079_zps7umbjw7x.jpg
I love the back roads. Had to laugh when we went through the dirt roads. Gerry says "Do they get worse?" I said "Worse than what?" they were perfect for dirt roads, I said Old Betsy (the car) knows all these roads and is fine on them. He will learn I hope.
 photo 106_0088_zpsmwzzkssy.jpg
 photo 106_0086_zpsqh9hluug.jpg
I love the back roads because as I always say, we have them to ourselves. Next time I think when we go to Port Oneida I will have him drive through the woods. We didn't stop there either because by then it was 3pm and he was getting restless. I did stop at the lake though to see if I could see Turtles but none out today, they would have fried.
 photo 106_0116_zpsjpodzi9e.jpg
 photo 106_0120_zps7bhs3dqp.jpg
Lots of birds very happy and singing their hearts out. It was burning hot standing there.
Not sure what this is. I must get my book out
 photo 106_0124_zps49lmtclc.jpg
Lots of Redwing Blackbirds and this guy left as I was trying to focus in on him dancing across the Lily Pads
 photo 106_0126_zpsehi2zd3x.jpg
By then we were hungry so headed home for a sandwich and potato salad. I sure was not cooking and now he is retired we won't be stopping to eat very often. He
doesn't like to do that much anyway but I will just have to train him better............he needs to lighten up, he will given time.

2 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

We had a very hot sunday and monday too! Great road trip Janice! Loved the pictures! Big Hugs!

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Thanks Stacey lets hope it cools down