Sunday, June 24, 2018

Two new walks...........

I got out our old book on hikes in Michigan the other day. There was a time long ago that Gerry and I would go on walks on the weekends. Well we have not done that in years. He never wanted to do stuff on the weekend anymore. Too tired I guess after working all week. Well, now he can get into it again I hope. I have spent a lot of time researching the area and sometimes remembering those hikes and showing Laura. Now she has moved away.
With Gerry being "retired" now, well I am hoping to pique his interest again. Maybe he will never have the same enthusiasm as me but at least it gets him out and moving. I gave him my new camera so who knows.
So I have wanted to check out a couple of new trails. This one is lovely its short but overlooks Yuba Creek.
 photo 106_0160_zps0pvjmfd9.jpg
The walk itself is short and is through some lovely wildflower meadows.
 photo 106_0159k_zps4e6whwjb.jpg
I enjoyed taking pictures of a selection of the flowers.
 photo 106_0146_zpsbvkacmna.jpg
 photo 106_0143k_zpsexcoadiq.jpg
There were a lot of different grasses and the birds were very happy singing their hearts out.
 photo 106_0141_zpsl52npwfe.jpg
 photo 106_0140_zps4qar6lo7.jpg
 photo 106_0139h_zpsfty9uwz9.jpg
The powers that be had mowed the grass to make a trail for walkers
 photo 106_0136_zps4nlaosev.jpg
 photo 106_0135_zpsbf5r7ejj.jpg
 photo 106_0134_zpspiogxpeo.jpg
They may be very common wildflowers but so pretty. In England I knew the names of all our local wildflowers, my Dad bought me book and I would collect and press the ones I found and named. Some of these are common there and here so I know the names of many of them. I must get a small book like I used to have and learn them. I guess kids don't do that anymore. We used to take Tristen and Reina but that's all done now. They are having behaviour problems with Tristen so now we see even less of him.
 photo 106_0133_zpshmmqzmui.jpg
Such a shame, they thought by taking him away they could do better I guess and it has only made things worse. He now deals with resentment as well as his mental issues.
He is so much like his Mum in that respect.
We got to the overlook, you can't see much because of the deep undergrowth and trees. It was nice sitting on the bench and listening to the birds.
 photo 106_0164_zps7lqbdu1y.jpg
 photo 106_0144_zpsm0elw87s.jpg
 photo 106_0145_zpsqwya0kum.jpg
 photo 106_0156k_zpscjhf291a.jpg
 photo 106_0161_zpsiuv6xtmg.jpg
All the blossoms smelled so good
 photo 106_0163_zpsresnwcxh.jpg
Wild crab apples that I bet the deer enjoy come Fall and Winter
 photo 106_0165_zpsypc33zey.jpg
I just love Cow Vetch
 photo 106_0172k_zpsvwqywwtt.jpg
The bees were enjoying this
 photo 106_0177_zpsucub19hm.jpg
I could not stop taking pictures of the daisies
 photo 106_0180_zps9vviyik5.jpg
I bet the deer love all the lovely grasses
 photo 106_0181_zpszc2r2npo.jpg
 photo 106_0182_zps888rgkcz.jpg
Look at these two buddies enjoying a Daisy
 photo 106_0183lkf_zpsi5ewbtkt.jpg
 photo 106_0183lk_zpsgz9i9haw.jpg
The little seed heads are so cute so are the big ones.
 photo 106_0184_zpspntryr8s.jpg
 photo 106_0189h_zps6vb1trpb.jpg
 photo 106_0185_zpsturahigo.jpg
 photo 106_0187k_zpsjiypynlw.jpg
 photo 106_0190_zps9aryfo4x.jpg
 photo IMG_0094_zpslvwlxsgi.jpg
We were looking for another new trail that I wanted to check out. For some reason my whole perspective was all out of whack. I knew where it was but as we went along the familiar road it was not where I thought it was. I said when you see the big barn where they grow Sunflowers its the farm on the left...........well we got to Yuba and had not yet seen that barn.............that stretch of road is not where I thought it was. I was sure it was before one got to Yuba but no.........someone moved it?????
No just kidding. Got to go back and get my bearings again. So we were now going in the wrong direction so I asked we take a road off to the left to get down near the Bay So we took Dock Road. It was just a boat launch but this guy was hanging out there
 photo 106_0199_zpswhfc5eze.jpg
However we turned and came upon another trail I had wanted to find. So that was cool. It was about 3pm by then so we had time for another quick walk
 photo 106_0202_zps0upuevad.jpg
 photo 106_0206_zps7jix9xcf.jpg
Totally different
 photo 106_0219_zpsytolv4vl.jpg
Who did this, not a Beaver this time
 photo 106_0218_zpstvtxkmbr.jpg
The trail led to a beach, not a used beach but left natural
 photo 106_0207_zpsnhfhrz1s.jpg
 photo 106_0208_zpss7z62chl.jpg
On the way back I picked up some pine cones. Interesting.
 photo 106_0224_zpsw09byusy.jpg
 photo 106_0223_zpspawgnnie.jpg
who ever ate them must have held one end?
 photo 106_0205_zpsegkoaftx.jpg
Anyway, that was interesting and the birds were just singing up a storm...........yes, we were expecting one, so headed home before it began.
Yuba Creek overlook was really nice. There is another trail that runs along the creek down in the valley. So another day we will take a look at that one. My friend Edna used to live out there and says it is full of quicksand so won't stray off the path that's for sure. Should be an interesting walk though if not a humid and buggy day.

3 comments:

Kay G. said...

I hope Tristen will be okay, I will pray for him. x
Your flowers are beautiful, and your photos of them are very good!
Wonder what did eat those pine cones? One hungry squirrel? :-)

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I am thinking Squirrels ate the cones but have never seen this before. Not eaten that way. Yes please do pray for Tristen, he is having a very hard time and is taking the wrong direction.
Luv Janice

Magic Love Crow said...

What a great day Janice! Truly loved all the photos!
I will pray for Tristen too! Bless his heart! Big Hugs!