Monday, July 23, 2018

Making a mess and enjoying it..............................

I said I would do a post on our remodel job. We went and got paint and were ready to finish the project. It began with taking out the old door that once opened into the laundry room. Back in the day when we always had a lot of family coming and going it was sort of crowded. So we decided to change the back door to the old dining room and make that the new entrance.
 photo IMG_0027_zpspjkt7kmf.jpg
 photo IMG_0025_zpsod4c0uiw.jpg
That is Gerry working on the "hole" left by taking the door out.
 photo 20180709_135920_zpshmkeriq4.jpg
He then had to fill in the hole and rebuild the wall and fit in a small window. I would have liked a bigger window, I like the light but, this is what I was given
 photo DSCN0088_zpsjegzny0h.jpg
When the window was in he had to then put new base trim. Then came the painting. I chose a vanilla shade. I wanted to go light. I had yellow in the kitchen and 1/2 bath but wanted to change out from red and yellow. I love red and yellow and have that in the living and sitting room. So to make a change from that to a paler colour needed a subtle change. I decided to change the border that had been up for many years. I wanted a new theme, wildflowers and wildlife to carry throughout the downstairs.
 photo 20180717_151141_zpsptc6fppt.jpg
 photo 20180717_151120_zpstnjp8ryg.jpg
A while back I had sent for a couple of plates from England, they had English wildflowers. So having found a nice border with butterfly, Kingfisher and wildflowers I went for that with the vanilla colour on the walls. Gone are the dark green doors and now they are white.
 photo 20180717_151051_zps7qtbn1n3.jpg
I would love to change the counter tops and back splash but I just don't have the money.
 photo 20180717_151309_zpsamjh1tvk.jpg
I thought maybe the roosters I had collected would not fit in but they did.
 photo 20180717_151335_zpsguz95yvn.jpg
I had taken down all the vintage kitchen things from the walls and cupboards. They will all go in my sale.
When I look at the cupboards now I can't see that there is a lot less but there is, I stuck with the Aqua glass jars. I took the red and yellow out and replaced with aqua. I like it.
 photo DSCN0093_zpsepzwd9va.jpg
I need a picture for this wall yet...........will have to paint one.
 photo DSCN0094_zpsfo6gnbx2.jpg
 photo DSCN0085_zpswbvdujip.jpg
 photo DSCN0086_zpsr7587fih.jpg
The 1/2 bath after the renovation I really like.
 photo DSCN0090_zpscis61gw2.jpg
I will put a picture in there on the facing wall, it just needs framing. The one above the mirror I did many years ago and it now has a home.
 photo DSCN0092_zpswwwqjf0n.jpg
 photo 20180718_160012_zpsqkx7ismd.jpg
I wanted a new sink and toilet but when it was finished I actually liked it. I found some border with butterfly and got towels in green and vanilla colours. A cabinet behind the toilet finished the look and I was quite happy with that. Lots more to do. I got my pictures up finally.
 photo 20180724_150012_zpspmqwjhzx.jpg
 photo 20180724_150019_zpswacsezcv.jpg
I went through every cupboard and drawer and cleaned out things I have not used in years. I kept all the glass but had several sets of plates and especially Christmas plates. I don't need them, just because I like them is not a reason to keep them. Especially now that we don't have the big get togethers we used to. So, I cleaned it all out. Next is the entrance. That is a colour I didn't like once it was on the wall and so that comes next. Later in the Fall the Dining room will be done. Paint is the cheapest redecorating change. So, it will refresh everything. Will show as we go..................

6 comments:

Kay G. said...

How gorgeous! I should think that you could buy homes and remodel them and make a fortune. Wish you could come to Georgia and help me with my tired old house!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How very pretty it all looks, I love your color choices.
I would like to remodel, but the thought of changing everything out and making all those decisions is daunting
Well done Janice !
Hugs,
Jo

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Thank you Kay and Jo.......It's fun. I really need new carpet, new furniture etc but as long as we have the poodles and kids around we can't do it. Keep on shampooing and what ever I can without spending too much,it's all I can do.
Hugs, Janice

NanaDiana said...

Wow, Janice!!! You have been a really really busy gal! I love all your changes. Everything looks bright and fresh now. If you dislike the tile on your backsplash you can easily paint it and it will hold up beautifully. You have to use TSP or liquid sand. You just wipe it on and then wash it off really well. I use Binz or Kilz and just roll it on as a primer. When it dries I use two coats of really good semi-gloss enamel. Once it cures/dries you can wipe it down just like regular tile. I have also painted countertops using the same method. It is kind of scary when you start but it works beautifully. I have painted tile and countertops at least 7 or 8 times over the years.

You made some wonderful choices there...everything looks really great! xo Diana

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Thanks Diana,I would never have thought of that. At this point I don't think he will go for me adding more to the list of things to do, he has two more rooms to do as wellas outside projects.I don't want to push my luck haha........I have seen some stuff that is thin and may just fit over the top but again, don't want to push my luck. Maybe next year .......thanks, great ideas and I never knew that. Hugs Janice

Magic Love Crow said...

You go girl!! LOVE!! Seriously Janice, beautiful!! Well done! I love it al! Looks amazing! And, I love seeing your art!!! Big Hugs!