Sunday, February 24, 2019

Dawn Chorus........................

This morning I was awoken by a Cardinal singing his heart out near my bedroom window. I will hear him every morning now. It is a sign that Spring will not be too long. It reminded me that here in Michigan it's nothing like what it's like in England. The Dawn Chorus is a real thing there.

I think as a young person I didn't hear it too often. One time though, we were there to hear the very first bird sing to awake all the others. I thought it was a Blackbird but could be wrong, it was a very long time ago.

When we were young, ah, that's the thing. I worked at A.C Delco at the time. There was a charity event where people sponsored people at so much a mile. It was a 50 mile hike and I think I may have written about that before. What fun we had. If my memory serves me well, and these days it doesn't, I think Liz Seabrook, Sheila Wilson and Margaret Dryden were the ones who made up our little group. We wore bicycle lamps on our backs so that when we got out into the dark countryside we could be seen by traffic. That was a wonderful idea until we had to go pee. Ducking behind bushes sort of lost a bit of it's privacy when you forget to turn your lamps off. Anyway, we made it 25 miles on that particular hike.
 photo 119_0469c_zps4zec4hhb.jpg
The Cardinal does not have such a pretty song as the Blackbird, in fact I was ready to throw a shoe at it this morning. Its NOT Spring yet darn it.

It gets rather annoying I can tell you.
Anyway, the charity walk was a lot of fun. There were cars with people picking up those who wanted to quit. About midnight someone stopped to ask if we were OK and did we want a ride home yet otherwise we were on our own till morning. We voted to continue, and so we did until we could not put one foot in front of the other again. I remember sitting on a farm gate waiting for someone to come and rescue us. That was when we heard that Blackbird sing. Then there was an answer from another, and then another and off they went full throttle into the Dawn Chorus. What a wonderful thing it was. A night we will never forget. We made it 25 miles and got certificates to prove it. Somewhere I still have mine but I don't know where right now. It's probably with my family research papers.
Oh to be young again haha. We sure felt it the next day. I remember having to sit and slide down the stairs after falling out of bed. My legs just were not working for me. Blisters, we had a few but the worse for me was the muscle aches. Had to go to work next day.............boy there were some surprised people having to cough up the money but we earned it.

5 comments:

Kay G. said...

Send me all your cardinals! I love to hear them!
Lovely photo of the male cardinal, did you take that one?

Janice Kay Schaub said...

yes I did, and thank you. I love them after I have had my coffee. Otherwise it's very annoying haha

DeniseinVA said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your post Janice, great memories, and loved hearing the dawn chorus. In the warmer months when all the windows are open, there's nothing like hearing the birds chirping in the mornings, and the doves cooing. I love to lie in bed for a little longer just to listen to them. Thanks for sharing all these and happy week to you :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What fun memories Janice, and such a long hike !
Here in the south, I can always tell when spring is approaching, the songbirds return to the gardens after the long winter months, and the most prolific is the Mockingbird, they can have hundreds of songs in their repertoire, and oftentimes annoyingly sing at night. One time I was so sick of a Mockingbird singing in a tree outside of my bedroom, I went outside with a five pound bag of new potatoes, and started slinging them one by one up the tree. The next morning my neighbor spotted me outside and asked what I was doing, I replied....picking potatoes :)
The videos you have shared are so encouraging, for one who is looking forward to spring.
Hugs,
~Jo

Magic Love Crow said...

Such a beautiful post Janice! I love the videos and your picture! I loved hearing about the charity walk too! Big Hugs!