Friday, February 15, 2019

Possum's and Potholders...........

Last night we got a visitor.
 photo 122_1170_zps9lxrfjbv.jpg
I noticed the outside light was on, it has a motion detector on it, so lights up if anyone or anything moves on the deck. It's really for the poodles but can also let us know to look to see who is visiting before we let them out. It could be a skunk. Brea has only just got her own smell back after the last visit to the groomers. she had to have chased the skunk in the garden one evening (morning, can't remember). All creatures are welcome here but some do not appreciate us as much as we appreciate them.
 photo 122_1170a_zpsjyqp1nm7.jpg
 photo 122_1172h_zpsrzfm0ym9.jpg
Anyway, I love Possums and haven't seen them for awhile.
Naturally they are nocturnal so we wouldn't see them during the day. The outside light doesn't bother them though. They stay very still when they see movement rather than run away. If they begin to feel uncomfortable then they sneak off slowly.
 photo 122_1172_zpsmpcns4dr.jpg
 photo 20190214_221843_zpsqedgrocu.jpg
 photo 20190214_221859_zpscdoooqvo.jpg
I stood and watched this guy for quite some time, he knew I was at the window. He was really enjoying the new fat ball I made with coconut flakes, peanut butter, rice crispies and fat. The birds like it too and it's already about gone. I don't have much fat left, maybe one more batch that I can make. Got to get me some more supplies. I generally use up stale stuff. Funny thing is everyone loves the bread more than anything except peanuts in the shells.
 photo 20190214_221905_zpstmtsaqjl.jpg
Possums are good to have around. They eat a lot of stuff that's bad for the garden, do not carry Rabies or disease and are generally good guys. Very cute too although they would look prettier with a fluffy tail, but as they hang by their tails (must be strong to carry that weight) they couldn't have hair, ouch........
So, again today the snow was coming down. I had wanted to get out today and take a trip to Isadore. I want to write about the church there and want pictures. I thought the Cedar River would also be pretty. Well it's supposed to be nice tomorrow and I think Gerry got the end of the drive chipped out.
Instead I decided to do some sewing.
 photo 20190215_134456_zpstrigw0cu.jpg
I want to make some small things, way ahead of time for Christmas gifts and to use up fabric. So one thing I wanted to do was pot holders. I need some myself. I found a pattern but it had no instructions. I found the fabric I wanted and cut it out. So far so good. It was obvious how to put it together until it was time to put the ends on. It's one of those two handed jobs that fits on the hands and is long to hold on to both sides of the dish...........well the dang thing is so thick my machine will not sew through all layers, so that tells me there must be an easier way.
 photo 20190215_134511_zpsaw0r2ewm.jpg
Now to think. I must find a real pattern instead of thinking I know what I am doing. Duh!!!! it seemed so obvious, except now I have to hand sew the dang thing. Not at all what I wanted to do. I guess before I start my next project, the little micro wave bowl holders I have to go and get some "cotton" batting. I have so much scraps of batting that I had thought I would not need any, but I have no way of knowing if its 100% cotton and I do not want to give them away only to be responsible for burning down someone's house.
 photo 20190215_134527_zpsecy131sl.jpg
Who knew thing's could get so complicated. Seemed easy enough to me. 10" squares with a tuck to make it curl around a bowl or mug and voila a nice handy gift. Gift? I want some myself, you know what it's like taking a hot bowl of soup out of the microwave. So these nice easy projects are on hold. Meanwhile I could start on cutting the borders for my 3 quilts I have ready to go but now I am frustrated and got backache so for the rest of the day I will gain some inspiration from some patterns and books and find a decent pot holder pattern, and while I am at it without rounded ends. Pffft. that was a pain and a half. Gonna use up a whole bunch of fat quarters though. I am on a roll.
You won't see a picture of the final product tonight(potholder) I need daylight to sew by hand. (that's my excuse) and I need to find some embroidery thread. Sigh!!!!

2 comments:

Kay G. said...

Great possum pictures!! One of the best children's books- Possum Come A Knockin'. You have to read it with a Southern accent so that was one book that our son insisted that only I could read to him! We also have possums that way birdseed. Our possums are huge!















Magic Love Crow said...

I love your little visitor! So cute! As I always say, you are so good to the animals! They love you! Good luck with all the sewing!! Yes, please don't burn down someone's house! LOL! Big Hugs!