Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day One....................

On our first day we went to breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe on the beach at Ferring. It was rather nice. We were still tired from our flight in but it was a lovely day to start the adventure. We began the day at Hever Castle the girlhood home of Ann Boleyn. The grounds were lovely and I suppose after all the rain that they had this summer everything was kept fresh and lovely. It was easy to imagine the ladies in their dresses swishing around the small hidden gardens or strolling along the lawns. Henry fell in love with Ann here and did his courting here. In my imagination I could almost see them. 100_0804 Some pictures that will never do it justice. Hever4jpg Hever3jpg Hever2jpg Hever6jpg As always pictures are not allowed inside. I understand why and so I usually buy a book. I like to do that because it gives me some history, maybe something I didn't know. It also helps to preserve these places for the future and I am all for that. Also for anyone who loves English history maybe think about joining the National Trust and English Heritage who do so much to keep our heritage intact. Too many of these wonderful places have gone to ruin, and even the ruins need to be taken care of and kept safe. Its a privilege to be able to go there, to places once private dwellings. Kept in trust by these families and handed down for generations. In modern times taxes have taken their toll so please help preserve our history. Hever9jpg There was to be some jousting later but we could not stay, I could not resist this picture though. Hever8jpg

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a majestic place to visit. The place is wonderful and beautiful and so is the history behind it. Blessings- xo Diana

DeniseinVA said...

What an impressive place. Your photos are great and this is another thoroughly enjoyable post.

Anonymous said...

The grounds look magnificent! This is somewhere I have never been, but I must add it to my list for next year.
We are members of the National Trust, it is a bargain, because membership provides us with so many fantastic days out.

Cindy Adkins said...

*sigh* My imagination soars...